AIP Diet For Hashimoto's And Why This Matters If You Are TTC
Sep 09, 2019
I'm excited to welcome Dr. Rob Abbott to the podcast.
We're digging into Hashimoto's and the AIP Diet a medical study.
Rob Abbott, M.D. is the medical director for Resilient Roots: Functional and Evolutionary Medicine in Charlottesville, Virginia. He completed his family medicine internship with VCU-Shenandoah Valley and is a graduate of the University of Virginia School of Medicine. He has completed training with the Institute for Functional Medicine, is a Kresser Institute ADAPT Level 1 clinician, and an AIP Certified Coach. He is currently the medical advisor at Autoimmune Wellness conducting collaborative research with founders Angie Alt and Mickey Trescott. He approaches medicine from an evolutionary and functional perspective and practices what he calls “spiritually focused and evolutionarily informed functional medicine.” Website: https://resilientrootsfxmed.com/
I can't tell you the number of women that I speak with on a regular basis who have one of the following:
- Thyroid dysfunction
- Hashimoto's Disease
Many of them tell me all about their fertility diagnosis, the endless IUI, IVF'S that haven't worked and then they tell me (almost as an after thought) that they are on medication for thyroid dysfunction or that they have elevated thyroid antibodies, or they have Hashimoto's.
Another category of women - may not even know they have thyroid dysfunction/Hashimoto's as it may have been flagged as normal or missed by conventional medicine. (Defineately check out our blood chemistry review to see if something has been missed - this review is for education only - we do not diagnosis).
The first step BEFORE going to the fertility clinic and spending 10's of thousands of dollars on IUI/IVF is to get to the bottom of WHY it's not working in the first place.
A medical study has been published about the efficacy of this diet/lifestyle strategy - that has resulted in reduced medication and quality of life for those with Hashimoto's...plus one of the 17 participants in the study...got pregnant naturally!
In this episode you will learn:
- Why addressing a diagnosis of Hashimoto’s is important for someone who is trying to conceive.
- The results of the medical study The findings regarding reducing thyroid medication and consuming more folate.
- What about the thyroid antibodies - we talk about the findings. Plus quality of life improvements such as skin, hay fever, sinus complaints.
- Out of the 17 participants - 1 became pregnant - this was her goal coming into the study. We discuss her case in detail.
- Why the approach is MORE than diet, that the coaching/accountability and community aspect were HUGE drivers of the successful outcomes.
Learn more about the medical study here.
Today's episode is sponsored by ShopAIP. If you are ready to get started with the AIP diet this site has everything you need to get started. Receive 10% discount - when you enter - getpregnantpodcast - promo code at check out.
Book your free Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery call. We’ll come up with a simple plan to help you move forward…towards your dream of having your baby. Don't forget to check out my Resources page for more information and products that will help you on your fertility journey.
- functional medicine and fertility,
- functional medicine and hormones,
- functional medicine and IVF,
- functional medicine fertility,
- functional medicine for pregnancy,
- hashimoto's diet,
- hashimoto's disease and male infertility,
- hashimotos and infertility,
- how to boost fertility with hashitmoto's,
- hypothyroidism and fertility,
- infertility and hashimotos