How To Know If Your Menstrual Products Are Harming Your Fertility
Feb 28, 2022
We’re digging into toxin-free feminine hygiene products when you are TTC.
One of the quickest changes you can make to reduce toxins in your life is to swap out your menstrual products. Why? Because many of the mainstream conventional disposable products contain harmful ingredients such as plastics, artificial fragrances, adhesives, and chemical gels.
Some of these are inserted directly into your body via your tampon, while all of them are cozying up to one of the most sensitive areas on your entire body!
Today I’m excited to welcome Eliana Martel to the podcast. Eliana is the customer support and outreach representative for GladRags. GladRags offers reusable and eco-friendly menstrual products.
In this episode you'll learn:
- The toxins that are found in pads and tampons and why this matters for your fertility
- Options for disposable tampons and reusables that are toxin-free
- The difference between menstrual cups and discs and how to know if this is the right option for you
4:08 INTRODUCING ELIANA MARTEL AND TODAY’S TOPIC
5:01 ELIANA’S JOURNEY WORKING WITH GLADRAGS
- My focus isn’t sales-driven as much as information-driven.
- Eliana’s passion for educating people about reusables
8:04 NON-TOXIC MENSTRUAL PRODUCTS AND YOUR FERTILITY
- We’re quick to switch out cleaning and personal care products but often overlook menstrual products
- Why we have our clients switch from disposable menstrual products right away
8:58 THE PROBLEM WITH DISPOSABLE MENSTRUAL PRODUCTS
- They don’t need to disclose what’s in them and how they’re made.
- There are no legal requirements for companies to share what exactly is in their disposable menstrual products
- Common toxins found in disposable pads and tampons
- Research that found endocrine-disrupting chemicals in disposable menstrual products
11:21 UNDERSTANDING THE RISKS
- Why it’s important to stay informed and know your options
- How tampons can lead to toxic shock syndrome (TSS)
- It’s a two-pronged question: what are they made of and what are they doing?
- There are so many options for you if you want to move away from conventional disposables.
15:21 ODOR NEUTRALIZERS, FRAGRANCES & PESTICIDES
- How little has changed in terms of stigma and the perceived need to cover up our natural smell
- The wide range of chemicals and other contaminants that have been found
- The positive shift we’ve seen with more accessible alternatives now available for menstruators
18:24 THE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT OF DISPOSABLE MENSTRUAL PRODUCTS
- Every year 12 billion pads and 7 million tampons hit the landfills in the US.
- Even biodegradable products can take hundreds of years to decompose in a landfill
- It’s really dangerous that we don’t consider where things go when we throw them away
- Why it can be difficult to become more environmentally-conscious
- It’s worth it to make as many environmentally-friendly changes in your life as you can
25:01 ORGANIC & CHLORINE-FREE DISPOSABLE MENSTRUAL PRODUCTS
- Using alternative disposable options to transition into reusable products
- Eliana’s recommendations for choosing the best products for you
27:31 REUSABLE MENSTRUAL PRODUCTS
- The types of reusable products offered by GladRags
- Pros and cons of period underwear
- The differences between menstrual cups and discs
- Eliana’s favourite resource for information about cups and discs
32:20 THE MENSTRUAL CUP LEARNING CURVE
- Educating yourself before you choose a menstrual cup
- Resources to learn how to use a menstrual cup and troubleshoot any issues
- Having the patience to give it a go and ask for help if you need it can make all the difference.
36:19 HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT SIZE MENSTRUAL CUP
37:29 CLEANING REUSABLE MENSTRUAL PRODUCTS
- Reusable pads can be washed like regular laundry
- Why you don’t need to boil your menstrual cup
- The cleaning process is a lot easier than people think.
43:39 NATURAL LAUNDRY DETERGENTS
- Wherever you buy other natural or organic products will probably have natural detergent options
- There’s no single best brand to use
- You don’t need a special detergent for your reusable pads
45:31 REUSABLE PADS CAN LAST FOR MANY YEARS WITH PROPER CARE
49:00 REUSABLE PANTYLINERS AS A LOW-STAKES STARTING POINT
50:26 BEING PATIENT WITH YOURSELF
- Switching to something new can be a fun experience.
- Everyone can make it work
Fab Fertile Method - https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/what-we-do/
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 193: How To Get Pregnant Naturally With Low AMH/High FSH
- Episode 330: Strategies To Help You For The New Year When You Have Low AMH/High FSH
Mentioned in this Episode
- GladRags (Get your first reusable pantyliner for FREE when you go to bit.ly/GPNPGR)
- Put A Cup In It
Book your Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery call here with your partner
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
This episode is sponsored by: Legacy
Legacy: the digital fertility clinic that allows you to test, freeze, and improve your sperm from home. Legacy allows you to test your sperm with a mail-in kit so you can produce a sample in the comfort of your own home. Their kits use a transport media that’s clinically proven to protect and extend the life of sperm for overnight shipping.
Legacy’s kit does not require a prescription, and semen analysis starts at $199. Every client has the option to discuss their results with one of their male fertility specialists if they choose.
Use code FabFertile for 20% off your fertility analysis at GiveLegacy.com.
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: http://bit.ly/getpregnantreview
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/resources/
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button so you never miss an episode!