Top Tips To Know About Your Blood Chemistry When You Are TTC
Dec 14, 2021
Justine Altman joins Sarah Clark as we’re digging into what your blood chemistry results mean for your fertility.
You may have been told that your blood work is "normal". Or you may have been told that some markers are out of balance.
Sometimes medication can be given to bring these markers into balance, but typically there is no strategy to address WHY there is an imbalance in the first place.
This can lead to frustration and confusion. You may even feel like IVF is your only hope.
However, moving ahead to IVF without addressing these critical healing opportunities can lead to failed cycles, canceled cycles due to poor response, and an increased risk of miscarriage.
As part of our Fab Fertile Method, we include a blood chemistry review. This review is to educate, not to diagnose, and helps us develop a targeted ACTION plan so that you can improve your chances of pregnancy success with your own eggs.
Justine is part of my team here at Fab Fertile. She is an integral part of our Couples Coaching program - which uses functional lab testing, diet, and lifestyle changes to dramatically improve conception. If you are struggling with infertility...your body is desperately trying to tell you something...focusing on your health will either help you get pregnant naturally or if you do need to go to the fertility clinic it will improve your chances of success.
In this episode you'll learn:
- The difference between conventional and functional reference ranges and why this matters as you are preparing for pregnancy success.
- We take you through the blood chemistry review and highlight themes we see with the couples we work with so that you can improve your preconception health. (i.e. glucose, potassium, vitamin D, thyroid, magnesium, B12, and more).
- How inflammation impacts low AMH, high FSH, premature ovarian insufficiency, and diminished ovarian reserve (i.e. High Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein)
- MTHFR and how to know if folic acid or methylfolate is right for you
Apply here to work with us - https://bit.ly/getpregnantpodcast During our call we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges.
This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call.
However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
05:07- INTRO TO TODAY'S EPISODE AND JUSTINE'S BIO
- We never find “nothing.” there's always something to see.
- It's not about getting hung up on one marker we are looking for patterns
07:48- FUNCTIONAL RANGES VS. CONVENTIONAL
- The name of the game with function medicine- we want to optimize the body
- Conventional is looking to diagnose disease: “We want to catch things way before they are ever diagnosed as a disease and help nurture them back into the sweet spot.”
09:19- THINGS WE ARE LOOKING AT WITH BLOOD CHEMISTRY
- What is typically missed conventionally (big healing opportunity!)
- Other markers to be aware of and a “ton of information” that is there which can help us make improvement on the health of the body
11:40- GETTING “MARRIED” TO A DIET (AND THE IMPORTANCE OF A PERSONALIZED APPROACH)
- You can be well fed- but undernourished: “It's about trying to meet your goals with your body's goals.”
12:49- LIPIDS: WHAT’S HAPPENING THERE?
- The importance of healthy fats and themes we are seeing with cholesterol
- “We have to have healthy fats in order to make the hormones we need.”
16: 24- COMPLETE BLOOD COUNT (CBC)
- What it is telling us- from big clues to little ones: “This is all telling a story.”
17:45- THE FULL THYROID PANEL
- Why thyroid health matters for fertility- and what we can do to support it
20:28- VITAMIN D- FUNCTIONAL RANGES & WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- “Making sure vitamin D is optimized is key for fertility.”
- “We find this low in just about everyone.”
- What contributes to this? What can we do?
22:30- MAGNESIUM- A LOT OF US ARE DEFICIENT!
- What magnesium deficiency can cause
- The role of stress and alcohol consumption
- Magnesium is involved in over 600 processes in the body
26:16- B12: WHAT IS THAT TELLING US?
- Asking the question- why are we low, to begin with?
27:18- IRON: IMPORTANT FOR EGG HEALTH, THYROID HEALTH, ETC
- It’s easy to test for but is not always tested
28:30- FASTING INSULIN: WHAT IS THAT TELLING US?
29:30- HIGH SENSITIVITY C-REACTIVE PROTEIN
31:24- MTHFR: WHAT IS THAT TELLING US?
33:54- FINAL THOUGHTS: THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING MORE TO LOOK INTO!
Sponsored by Fab Fertile Store. Ensure your preconception supplements are free from dyes, filler, and top allergens. Check out our basic recommendations that are essential for preconception health. Visit https://www.fabfertilestore.com/
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCAST REVIEW: http://bit.ly/getpregnantreview
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases
SHOP here: https://fabfertile.com/resources/
Fab Fertile Method - https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/what-we-do/
What You Need To Know Before You Decide On IVF - https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/blog/what-you-need-to-know-before-you-decide-on-ivf/
Three Reasons Why Your IVF Might Have Failed - https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/blog/3-reasons-why-your-ivf-might-have-failed/
Listen here (be sure to HIT the subscribe button so you never miss an episode):