Why Drinking The Right Amount Of This Matters When You Are TTC
Dec 09, 2021
Dr. Dana Cohen joins us today as we’re digging into water and why staying hydrated matters for fertility.
I remember feeling so busy that I didn’t even have time to take a pee break (and when I did I wanted to pee faster). Yes, I’ve worked on my impatience. Looking back I know that I was chronically dehydrated. I thought it was normal to only urinate 1-2 times per day.
Turns out that being properly hydrated is crucial for your health and fertility. After all staying hydrated helps with cervical mucus (which is needed for the sperm to get to the egg).
Now I always have water with me wherever I go (filtered of course) and I love how it makes me feel (and yes it’s perfectly okay to stop for a pee break).
Today I’m welcoming Dr. Dana Cohen. She is an internal medicine doctor who has spent her career focusing on integrative medicine. She is the co-author of Quench - Beat Fatigue, Drop Weight, and Heal Your Body Through the New Science of Optimum Hydration
In this episode you'll learn:
- The signs and symptoms of dehydration
- How much water you need to drink (we bust the myth of 8 glasses/per day)
- Top kitchen hacks to ensure you stay hydrated
- The truth about salt and why you may need to add it to your water
- Water filter tips, what many of us get wrong about drinking water and more
07:14- INTRO TO TODAY'S EPISODE AND DR. DANA COHEN’S BIO
07:58- DR. DANA COHEN’S PERSONAL STORY
09:30- WHY DID SHE DECIDE TO WRITE A BOOK ABOUT HYDRATION?
11:33- WHY DOES HYDRATION MATTER FOR MALE AND FEMALE FERTILITY?
- “Learning how to hydrate properly is the single most important step you must take for preventing and treating chronic disease.”
- What does hydration do for the body?
- Chronic diseases that are associated with low-grade dehydration
- Why it is the ‘first step” you should take for healing your body
- The “inconvenience” of peeing but how avoiding it costs us
- How often should we be peeing?
- How hydration benefits mucus membranes (including your cervical mucus)
15:44- SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF DEHYDRATION
- The color of your urine (what is it telling you?)
- “Try hydrating better earlier”
- “If you are thirsty you are too far gone.”
18:20- WHAT ARE THINGS WE GET WRONG WITH DRINKING WATER?
- Should we really be drinking a gallon of water a day?
- “Overhydration is more common than we once thought.”
- Should we “eat” our water? What should be in our smoothies?
- Electrolytes- which does she prefer?
21:10- DEHYDRATIONS LINK TO FATIGUE?
- Why eating more carbs is “making things worse”
- Recent research showing that water way be a treatment for metabolic syndrome
22:50 HOW DO WE GET OUR WATER INTO OUR MUSCLES AND CONNECTIVE TISSUES?
- “8 glasses a day is not the way.”
- “We need to live in our bodies and know what perfectly hydrated feels like.”
- Why hydrating should be individualized
- Her recommendation on how to start your day and what to drink
- Why should we have a “plant-centric” diet? How does this improve our hydration?
- Should we drink 50-57 ounces of our body weight a day?
31:36- HOW MUCH SALT SHOULD WE PUT IN OUR WATER AND WHY DOES IT MATTER?
- How much, how often, and what kind of salt should we use in our water?
- What about someone who has had a heat stroke before?
36:05 HER TOP HACKS FOR GETTING ENOUGH WATER
- What about people who hate water?
- How movement can help with hydration
- What research has shown about low-grade dehydration
38:52- RECOMMENDATIONS OF WATER FILTERS AND BOTTLES
43:50- DISTILLED WATER VERSUS OTHER TYPES
44:36- DR. DANA COHEN’S FAVORITE RESOURCES
47:27- WHERE YOU CAN CONNECT WITH DR. DANA COHEN (& MEAL PREP GUIDE)
48:15- DR. DANA COHEN’S FINAL THOUGHTS
Sponsored by: BLUBlox (Sleep+ is the world’s most advanced blue and green light blocking glasses addressing the exact frequencies of light required after dark to optimally produce melatonin for restorative sleep and health)
- Visit BLUBlox website at: http://bit.ly/BLUBlox
- Use coupon code: getpregnantpodcast to receive 15% discount. Free shipping worldwide.
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCAST REVIEW: http://bit.ly/getpregnantreview
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases
SHOP here: https://fabfertile.com/resources/
Functional Medicine 101 - https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/blog/functional-medicine-101-and-your-fertility/
Why Assembling A Team Of Fertility Expert Fast Tracks Success - http://getpregnant.libsyn.com/website/why-assembling-a-team-of-fertility-experts-fast-tracks-pregnancy-success
Why Addressing These Factors Matter If You Have POI/POF - http://getpregnant.libsyn.com/website/why-addressing-these-factors-matters-if-have-poipof
Listen here (be sure to HIT the subscribe button so you never miss an episode):