Healthy Sleep, Sleep Apnea And Why It Matters For Fertility
Jul 15, 2019
I'm excited to welcome Dr. Mark Burhenne to the podcast.
We’re digging into sleep, sleep apnea and the link to infertility.
Mark Burhenne, DDS, knows that the mouth is the gateway to health in the rest of the body. He is the author of the #1 best seller, The 8-Hour Sleep Paradox, and is a practicing sleep medicine dentist in Sunnyvale, California. Dr. Burhenne has been practicing dentistry in the greater San Francisco area for over 30 years. Learn more about his practice here. (Note: Ask the Dentist is not affiliated with Dr. Burhenne’s practice.)
He is a TEDx speaker, and his advice regularly appears on media outlets like CNN, CBS, Yahoo! Health, the Huffington Post, Prevention, The Washington Post, and Men’s Health.
He received his degree from the Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco and is a member of the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM), Academy of General Dentistry (Chicago, IL), American Academy for Oral Systemic Health (AAOSH), and Dental Board of California.
Dr. Burhenne (affectionately dubbed “Dr. B” by patients and friends) is passionate about helping people understand the connection between oral and overall health. He also spends a lot of time educating patients and readers about the importance of healthy sleep. Check out his website: www.askthedentist.com
We work with our 1:1 clients for months on sleep hygiene.
It's the cornerstone of good health.
So if you are dealing with any of the following:
- interrupted sleep (getting up to use the bathroom)
- trouble falling asleep
- falling asleep immediately (before head hits pillow - it's not a good thing)
- regularly waking up more than once per night
- waking up in the middle of the night (staying awake for more than 20 minutes)
- snoring (this tells us the airway is blocked - and the much needed restorative sleep is not achieved!)
This can impact your health and fertility. Remember it's not about focusing on your infertility diagnosis - it's about looking at the whole body.
Plus we talk about the warning signs of sleep apnea (we see this a lot with our 1:1 couples - undiagnosed sleep apnea - and it's not just the men!).
In this episode you'll learn:
1) Why is dental health important for getting a good sleep. How many hours of sleep do we really need? What does it mean when we fall asleep immediately!
2) What snoring could mean for your health and fertility. What are the warning signs of sleep apnea. Is a CPAP machine necessary - we discuss alternatives. What does teeth grinding mean?
3) We dig into the oral microbiome (you've heard of leaky gut). We're talking about the heath of your mouth. How infections such as H.Pylori can be passed between couples (H.Pylori can hide in your dental cavities).
4) You'll get the final verdict from an expert about flouride, conventional toothpaste and mouthwash. Plus the majority of North American's have gum disease and why this can impact your fertility.
Every couple needs to do this! Track your snoring using: Snorelab.com
Boka (great for sensitive teeth)
Book your free Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery call. We’ll come up with a simple plan to help you move forward…towards your dream of having your baby. Don't forget to check out my Resources page for more information and products that will help you on your fertility journey.
- functional medicine and depression,
- functional medicine and hormones,
- functional medicine and nutrition,
- functional medicine fertility,
- functional medicine for pregnancy,
- lack of sleep and infertility,
- sleep and ovulation,
- sleep apnea and female fertility,
- sleep apnea and fertility,
- sleep apnea and male fertility,
- sleep deprivation and fertility,
- snoring and infertility