Why Optimizing The Pelvic Floor Matters During Preconception
Apr 11, 2022
We’re digging into pelvic floor health and why this matters if you are TTC.
Our Fab Fertile Method takes a personalized approach to fertility so that we can address missed healing opportunities that uncover the reason why you may be struggling to conceive.
There are many types of stressors that could impact your body, from mental/emotional stress to food sensitivities, gut infections, environmental toxins and structural stress.
Structural stress could be a pinched nerve or back pain, but it also may include pelvic floor dysfunction.
If you are dealing with endometriosis, PCOS, Interstitial cystitis, incontinence, frequent urination, painful sex, constipation, c-section scar tissue and more, addressing your pelvic floor could be a great next step.
Today I’m welcoming Dr. Carolyn Messere. Dr. Messere is a board-certified pelvic floor specialist who now practices functional medicine.
In this episode you'll learn:
- Why pelvic floor health is important for fertility
- At what point we need help from a pelvic floor specialist
- Diet and lifestyle changes to support the pelvic floor
- How to improve pelvic floor health and the final word on Kegels
1:47 WELCOME DR. CAROLYN & INTRODUCING TODAY’S TOPIC
2:40 FROM COLORECTAL SURGEON TO FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE PRACTITIONER
- How Dr. Carolyn found her love for helping people with pelvic issues
- What led to Dr. Carolyn's surgery burnout
- One of the things people don't understand about the pelvic floor is it actually starts with the diaphragm.
8:10 WHY PELVIC FLOOR HEALTH IS IMPORTANT FOR FERTILITY
- The role of the pelvic floor in conception and delivery
- If the pelvic muscles are tight or there's weakness in the floor it’s harder to get pregnant.
10:32 HOW PELVIC FLOOR THERAPY CAN HELP WITH CERTAIN CONDITIONS
- Pelvic floor therapy for endometriosis
- If you try to do Kegels in a muscle that spastic, it's going to make it worse.
14:22 PELVIC MASSAGE USING A MASSAGER
- How the massager is used
- When can you use the massager?
- Why massaging the vagus nerve is helpful for common pelvic issues
- Does the massager help with endometriosis and PCOS?
19:31 WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM THERAPY
- Everyone who’s planning on having a vaginal delivery should make sure that their pelvic floor is in top shape.
20:05 WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU GO IN FOR A PELVIC FLOOR EXAM
21:27 DR. CAROLYN’S TRAINING IN ABDOMINAL MASSAGE
- The impact of scar tissue from a c-section
- Mayan vs Daoist abdominal massage
- How to find a qualified practitioner
23:04 MANUAL THERAPY TECHNIQUES
- How to do a “cats paws” massage on yourself
- Pelvic massage makes a big difference.
25:26 DIET & LIFESTYLE RECOMMENDATIONS
- I love a good grain-free diet because grains are inflammatory.
- Dr. Carolyn’s fish oil recommendations
27:39 THE TRUTH ABOUT KEGELS
- The risk associated with doing Kegels incorrectly
- Positive effects of doing deep breathing exercises
30:13 DR. CAROLYN’S SUCCESS STORY WITH PELVIC FLOOR THERAPY
32:03 COMMON SYMPTOMS OF PELVIC FLOOR ISSUES
Fab Fertile Method - https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/what-we-do/
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 193: How To Get Pregnant Naturally With Low AMH/High FSH
- Episode 339: Why These Symptoms Matter When You Are TTC
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
This episode is sponsored by: Legacy
Legacy: the digital fertility clinic that allows you to test, freeze, and improve your sperm from home. Legacy allows you to test your sperm with a mail-in kit so you can produce a sample in the comfort of your own home. Their kits use a transport media that’s clinically proven to protect and extend the life of sperm for overnight shipping.
Legacy’s kit does not require a prescription, and semen analysis starts at $199. Every client has the option to discuss their results with one of their male fertility specialists if they choose.
Use code FabFertile for 20% off your fertility analysis at GiveLegacy.com.
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: http://bit.ly/getpregnantreview
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/resources/
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button so you never miss an episode!