How EMDR Can Help During The Fertility Journey
Aug 22, 2022
We’re digging into how EMDR can help improve pregnancy success.
The fertility journey can be filled with triggers, heartbreak and frustration.
A theme we see with couples on the fertility journey is trauma.
We often see childhood trauma (i.e. physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, physical neglect. emotional neglect. mental illness, divorce and substance abuse).
We especially see the trauma that results from the fertility diagnosis and visualizing a different path to parenthood.
This can result in unpredictable emotions, flashbacks, strained relationships and physical symptoms such as nausea or headaches.
That’s why I’m including a referral partner for EMDR as part of our Fab Fertile Method. EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) helps to heal from emotional distress that stems from painful and traumatic life experiences.
Today I’m excited to welcome Tess Davies to the podcast. Tess is a Licensed Social Worker who provides telehealth therapy specializing in helping individuals heal from trauma. Her approach is humanistic, client-centred and utilizes evidenced-based trauma treatment modalities, including EMDR, Attachment-Focused EMDR, and Cognitive Processing Therapy, in addition to somatic and experiential-focused methods. She is also a Registered Yoga Teacher and often pulls from the practice of Yoga in her therapy practice.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- How EMDR can be beneficial for someone on the fertility journey
- The 8 phases of EMDR therapy and how this can help improve pregnancy success
- What credentials to look for before you hire an EMDR therapist
3:44 WELCOME TESS DAVIES
4:50 HOW TESS’ JOURNEY INSPIRED HER TO START TRAUMA-HEALING WORK
5:36 YOUR PERCEPTION OF TRAUMA
- Getting an infertility diagnosis can be traumatic.
- Trauma can mean many different things
- Often we don’t recognize symptoms as stemming from trauma until we explore the root of it
- Most of us have some level of attachment trauma.
10:26 WHAT IS EMDR?
- EMDR stands for Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing
- EMDR is one of the only widely used and recognized trauma treatments
- We have to access the body and the mind to heal from trauma.
11:35 THE HISTORY OF EMDR
- Numerous studies have shown the effectiveness of EMDR.
- Addressing trauma is key on the fertility journey.
- When we’re under chronic stress, the body wants to survive not to procreate
- Common symptoms that can be treated with EMDR
- Contraindications for EMDR therapy
14:45 EMDR PHASE 1: HISTORY TAKING
- The eight stages of EMDR
- The length of time varies from person to person
- You don’t need to know all the stages, your therapist will guide you through them
17:40 EMDR PHASE 2: CLIENT PREPARATION
- How Tess works with clients on the fertility journey
- EMDR takes a self-healing approach.
22:12 EMDR PHASE 3: ASSESSMENTS
- Grounding yourself and tuning into your body
- What are you already affirming?
- Reframing positive affirmations
- Trauma gives us a negativity bias.
26:47 EMDR PHASE 4: DESENSITIZATION
- It’s about keeping the focus on the here and now while accessing memories.
- What this looks like when you’re in session
29:25 ATTACHMENT-FOCUSED EMDR
30:18 EMDR PHASES 5 & 6: INSTALLATION & BODY SCAN
- What you believe impacts how you act and what you attract.
33:04 EMDR PHASES 7 & 8: CLOSURE & REEVALUATION
33:53 HOW TREATMENT SESSIONS WORK
- Why Tess recommends weekly sessions
- This doesn’t have to be a long-term thing.
- What to look for in an EMDR practitioner
35:17 TESS’ BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS
- Bessel van der Kolk, MD | The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
- Peter A. Levine | Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma
- Francine Shapiro | Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR Therapy
- Amir Levine, MD & Rachel Heller MA | Attached: The New Science of Adult Attachment and How It Can Help You Find - and Keep - Love
36:09 TESS’ FAVOURITE SUCCESS STORIES
Fab Fertile Method - https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/what-we-do/
Connect with Tess for an EMDR session here - https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/contact-us/
Mentioned in this episode
- CDC-Kaiser ACE Study
- Dr. Joe Dispenza’s Website
- EMDR International Association | Find an EMDR Therapist
Get your FREE Guide to learn specific steps you can take right now to improve Low AMH/High FSH | Top Diet And Lifestyle Tips To Optimize Low AMH/high FSH And Improve Fertility
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 193: How To Get Pregnant Naturally With Low AMH/High FSH
- Episode 356: How To Look Beyond The Fertility Diagnosis So That You Can Improve Pregnancy Success
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
This episode is sponsored by: Fab Fertile Store
A healthy gut is essential for preconception health for both men and women and a probiotic is a good first step to help improve gut health!
Not all probiotics are created equal. That’s why the Fab Fertile team and our clients love MegaSporeBiotic, typically available exclusively from practitioners.
I’m excited to announce that you can access this probiotic when you visit our Fab Fertile Store.
Visit FabFertileStore.com and use code VIP15 to save 15% off your order.
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: http://bit.ly/getpregnantreview
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/resources/
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!