How To Address Autoimmunity To Improve Pregnancy Success
Mar 14, 2022
We’re digging into multiple sclerosis and autoimmune disease while on the fertility journey.
One of the themes we see with our clients is an autoimmune disease. Studies show that over 1/5 of premature ovarian insufficiency cases also have an autoimmune disease. We commonly see women with low AMH/high FSH also presenting with autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto’s, Celiac, Rheumatoid Arthritis or Multiple Sclerosis.
The conventional approach with autoimmune disease is to prescribe medication without addressing the underlying healing opportunities.
This approach leaves many of us feeling frustrated and without a clear action plan.
What we know after working with our clients is that there are specific strategies that can address autoimmunity and improve the chances of pregnancy success.
Today I’m excited to welcome Dr. Teri Jaklin to the podcast. Dr. Teri is a licensed Naturopathic Doctor, certified in functional medicine, and also holds a certificate in Mind-Body Medicine from Harvard.
In this episode you'll learn:
- What is multiple sclerosis (MS) and why is it important to address when you are TTC
- The connection with food sensitivities, gut infections and heavy metals with autoimmune disease and MS
- How exercise therapy can be helpful for MS
- The belief that we can recover and heal and ultimately conceive
2:30 INTRODUCING DR. TERI JAKLIN & TODAY'S TOPIC
3:46 HOW DR. TERI CAME INTO HER WORK AS A NATUROPATHIC DOCTOR
- Dr. Teri came into this field through her own journey with MS after being diagnosed at 23 years old
- I embraced the whole thing with wide-eyed wonder.
- The most important thing is to continue to live and love life.
5:58 MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS & YOUR FERTILITY
- How multiple sclerosis affects your body
7:13 TREATMENT PROTOCOLS FOR MS
- The differences in the conventional and functional medicine approach to MS treatment
- Symptoms are our body's way of telling us to look deeper
- The gut has been held as central to good health for hundreds of years.
9:14 WHY IT'S IMPORTANT TO BE AWARE OF FOOD SENSITIVITIES
- Food sensitivities are at the foundation of leaky gut.
- Common food sensitivity symptoms people with MS experience
- How an elimination diet can help
- Cheat days might be responsible for your set-backs or plateaus
- Why we like to work with both partners
14:18 POSITIVE CULTURAL SHIFTS IN TERMS OF DIETS & ALLERGIES
16:03 MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS & HEAVY METALS
- What Dr. Teri sees with her patients
- Heavy metals are an issue for anybody who has a chronic inflammatory condition.
16:46 LATENT CHRONIC INFECTIONS
- Chronic infections are very common and linked to many autoimmune conditions.
- The types of infections Dr. Teri sees most often impacting her MS patients
- Treatment protocols for chronic infections
- How Dr. Teri uses biotherapeutic drainage
22:16 ELIMINATE MOLD FIRST
- Mold is extremely immunosuppressive
27:58 PHYSICAL THERAPY FOR MS
- Movement is the most important supplement for the brain.
- How movement positively impacts many of our body's systems
30:24 THE NEUROPLASTICITY OF MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS
- The relationship between visualization and neuroplasticity
- Encouraging research into the neuroplasticity of MS
33:11 THE MIND-BODY CONNECTION
- If you don't believe it's gonna work, it won't.
- Getting to a place of belief after receiving a difficult diagnosis
- How our thoughts become our reality
- Our bodies are energetic entities.
- The stress and pressure many of us experience when it comes to our fertility
39:44 IT DOESN'T TAKE A LOT - JUST THE BELIEF AND THE WORK
41:01 WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT IN DR. TERI's TRANSFORM MS FACEBOOK GROUP
- There's a great life to be had beyond your diagnosis.
Fab Fertile Method - https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/what-we-do/
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 193: How To Get Pregnant Naturally With Low AMH/High FSH
- Episode 333: Can The AIP Diet Help With Low AMH/High FSH?
- Episode 85: Why A Healthy Gut Matters For Fertility
- Episode 147: How To Heal From Mold Exposure And Why This Matters For Fertility
Connect with Dr. Teri Jaklin
Mentioned in this episode
- Norman Doidge's Book | The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science
- Norman Doidge's Book | The Brain's Way of Healing: Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity
- Dr. Joe Dispenza's Book | Becoming Supernatural: How Common People Are Doing the Uncommon
Book your Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery call here with your partner
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
This episode is sponsored by: Legacy
Legacy: the digital fertility clinic that allows you to test, freeze, and improve your sperm from home. Legacy allows you to test your sperm with a mail-in kit so you can produce a sample in the comfort of your own home. Their kits use a transport media that’s clinically proven to protect and extend the life of sperm for overnight shipping.
Legacy’s kit does not require a prescription, and semen analysis starts at $199. Every client has the option to discuss their results with one of their male fertility specialists if they choose.
Use code FabFertile for 20% off your fertility analysis at GiveLegacy.com.
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: http://bit.ly/getpregnantreview
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/resources/
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button so you never miss an episode!