How to Address Hyperthyroidism or Graves' to Improve Pregnancy Outcomes with Dr. Eric Osansky
Oct 31, 2022
We’re digging into the hyperactive thyroid and Graves’ disease and what this means when TTC.
One of the main themes we see with low AMH and or high FSH is thyroid dysfunction.
You may have been told your TSH is normal, but no one has run a full thyroid panel.
Or you are currently taking thyroid medication, but you had no idea there were targeted lifestyle changes you need to make alongside the medication to improve its efficacy.
An optimal thyroid is essential for a successful pregnancy.
And both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism can impact ovulation.
We commonly see Hashimoto’s with low AMH/high FSH and now we are seeing Graves’ too.
Before you are dismissed and told that everything is normal, don’t take no for an answer.
Medical gaslighting is real and we see this ALL the time with thyroid health.
Let’s learn more about hyperthyroidism and Graves’ and their impact on fertility.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- Why it is important to balance the thyroid when you are TTC
- What the difference is between hyperthyroid and hypothyroid and how they both impact fertility - What is Graves disease?
- Role of reverse T3 and why you don’t want this marker to be too high
- Adrenal function and the link between stress and thyroid health
- The link between mineral imbalance and thyroid health (i.e. iron, zinc, copper)
- Diet and lifestyle recommendations to improve thyroid function
03:49 WELCOME DR. ERIC
04:59 DR. ERIC’S GRAVES’ DISEASE DIAGNOSIS
- Why Dr. Eric chose to take a natural approach
- Dr. Eric’s work with people with Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s
07:29 THYROID HORMONE WHEN YOU’RE TTC
- Both low and elevated thyroid levels can cause issues with getting pregnant
- The thyroid is important for the health of the baby during pregnancy.
- Thyroid autoimmune conditions and miscarriage
09:56 HYPOTHYROIDISM & HYPERTHYROIDISM
- Common symptoms of hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism
- Some people experience a lot of fluctuations in symptoms
11:21 FULL THYROID PANEL
- It’s not enough to test TSH alone.
- Hormone levels with hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism
- What to look for with reverse T3
- The primary markers Dr. Eric looks for in a full thyroid panel and what they mean
16:34 DIAGNOSIS OF THYROID CONDITIONS
- Why Hashimoto’s often takes many years to be diagnosed
- Why it’s so important to test TSI levels when it comes to Graves’ disease
20:55 THYROID EYE DISEASE
- Eye and vision symptoms associated with thyroid eye disease
- It’s often worth looking into natural solutions before going to surgery
23:33 THE IMPACT OF STRESS ON THE THYROID
- The link between stress and Graves’ Disease
- Stress causes dysregulation in the immune system.
- The triad of autoimmunity: genetic predisposition, environmental triggers, gut health
- Testing is essential.
30:39 IRON DEFICIENCY & THYROID HEALTH
- Iron deficiency is a factor in hypothyroidism.
- We need the information provided by a full iron panel
- Iron overload can be a potential factor in thyroid autoimmunity.
34:18 ZINC & COPPER BALANCE
- Minerals must be balanced - too high or too low can lead to thyroid issues.
- You need to address the cause of the mineral imbalance
37:13 IODINE SUPPLEMENTATION
- Iodine in excess can be a trigger.
- Iodine deficiency doesn’t always require direct supplementation
39:54 DIET & LIFESTYLE RECOMMENDATIONS
- There’s no perfect diet for everyone.
- Diet is a starting point.
- Dairy is a common allergen and can cause issues for many people
- Gluten can increase intestinal permeability.
- It’s important to eat an anti-inflammatory diet but for many people it’s just one piece of the puzzle.
- We all need a daily stress management practice.
- Supplements that can help to manage symptoms naturally
47:39 GRAVE’S DISEASE & THYROID MEDICATION
- There’s a time and place for medical intervention.
- Most people with Graves’ can save their thyroid.
50:15 DR. ERIC’S CURRENT OBSESSIONS
52:30 FINAL THOUGHTS
- Start with diet and lifestyle
Fab Fertile Method - https://fabfertile.com/pages/what-we-do
Connect with Dr. Eric Osansky
- Dr. Eric Osansky’s Website | SaveMyThyroid.com
- Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
- Save My Thyroid Podcast
How To Improve Your Chances Of Pregnancy Success If You Have Low AMH/High FSH Masterclass - https://www.gpnmasterclass.com/
Prior to working with us, most couples have already been through IVF and failed cycles, been labeled a poor responder, and told they had better rush to another IVF or that donor eggs are their only hope.
I don’t want you to waste money on IVF without looking at the missed healing opportunities as to WHY it’s not working in the first place.
We’ve helped couples get pregnant naturally or improve pregnancy success when they’ve been told donor eggs are their only option. We’ve helped women get pregnant naturally with AMH as low as 0.04 and FSH in the 100s.
Learn how our proven Fab Fertile Method can help improve pregnancy success for YOU.
I’m excited to invite you to a special masterclass - where you’ll learn How To Improve Your Chances Of Pregnancy Success If You Have Low AMH/High FSH.
Register your spot here: www.gpnmasterclass.com
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 352: Biggest Mistakes and How To Avoid Them When You Hire A Fertility Expert
- Episode 346: How To Know If IVF Is Your Next Best Step
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
This episode is sponsored by: Leela Quantum Tech
Shield yourself from EMF nasties with Leela Quantum Tech!
LeelaQ Tech is leading the way in natural health innovation, combining science and quantum energy healing into an elegant and simple-to-use collection of products optimized for everyday use.
My favourite is their Leela Quantum H.E.A.L. Energy Capsule: https://leelaq.com/product/leela-quantum-h-e-a-l-capsule/
Learn more at https://leelaq.com/
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fabfertile.com/pages/resources
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!
Apple Podcasts: http://apple.co/2CfHEX9