How To Improve Low Sperm Count, Motility and DNA Fragmentation
Feb 14, 2022
We’re digging into how to optimize male fertility.
Although we specialize in complex cases such as low AMH, high FSH, diminished ovarian reserve and premature ovarian insufficiency, more couples are coming to us with both female and male factor infertility.
The Fab Fertile Method is effective at addressing both male and female fertility conditions.
Even if the male partner tells us his semen analysis is fine – we always include a blood chemistry review and a review of his semen analysis using functional reference ranges (these are for optimal levels – so it flags it earlier before it goes to disease) to ensure no healing opportunities have been missed.
So many women are making all the diet and lifestyle changes and the male partner may be supportive and willing to change – but he may not know what can be done to optimize his fertility.
That is why we coach couples. It is not only about getting the female healthy for pregnancy – the male partner must be included to increase the chances of getting pregnant naturally.
Excited for you to learn about how the Fab Fertile Method can improve male fertility.
I'm excited to welcome Justine Altman back to the podcast.
Justine is part of my team here at Fab Fertile. She is an integral part of our Couples Coaching program - which uses functional lab testing, diet, and lifestyle changes to dramatically improve conception. If you are struggling with infertility...your body is desperately trying to tell you something...focusing on your health will either help you get pregnant naturally or if you do need to go to the fertility clinic it will improve your chances of success.
Justine is a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner. She was diagnosed with POCS and struggled with infertility but after taking a functional approach was able to have both her children naturally.
In this episode you'll learn:
- Functional reference ranges for the semen analysis so we can identify healing opportunities to achieve optimal fertility. We discuss count, motility, morphology, DNA fragmentation and more.
- Diet/lifestyle and the impact on male fertility
- Themes we see with male factor fertility
- Environmental toxins and how to reduce exposure to improve male fertility
- Supplement recommendations to optimize male fertility (visit FabFertileStore.com for specific male fertility supplement recommendations)
6:11 INTRO TO THE EPISODE
- Why we refer to functional reference ranges
7:22 WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR WITH SEMEN ANALYSIS
- Changing standards over the years
- Aiming for optimal levels versus meeting minimum requirements
- Differences between Western and functional medicine benchmarks
- Key markers evaluated in a semen analysis
11:00 WHY THE BIG PICTURE IS IMPORTANT
- How each marker adds up to contribute to successful conception
- Reducing stress in the body has a massive impact on improving these numbers.
12:22 EMPOWERING MALE PARTNERS IN THE FERTILITY JOURNEY
- The male partner wants to help but they may not know what to do.
13:10 START WITH YOUR DIET
- An elimination diet is the gold standard to determine if there’s a good sensitivity.
- How we work with clients to identify potentially troublesome foods
- Everyone is different when it comes to food sensitivities
- There are “health foods” that may not be healthy for you.
- Common themes we see with our male fertility clients
15:32 THEME #1: LOW STOMACH ACID
- Symptoms of low stomach acid
- Why addressing the symptoms without looking deeper can often worsen the problem
- How low stomach acid affects your digestion and nutrient absorption
19:06 THEME #2: POOR MINERAL BALANCE
- Why mineral balance matters
- Minerals are the spark plugs of the body.
- The connection between nutrient absorption and fertility
21:18 THEME #3: LOW IMMUNE SYSTEM
- Everything is connected to the gut in one way or another.
- How what we eat and our gut health impacts our immune system
23:15 THEME #4: BLOOD SUGAR IMBALANCE
- Common signs of blood sugar imbalance
- If you’re having sugar cravings and feeling hangry, that might be a sign of blood sugar imbalance.
- How to find out if you’re experiencing a blood sugar imbalance
- You know your body best.
27:07 THEME #5: LIPIDS
- Cholesterol’s role in our reproductive health
- Why cholesterol might be too low or too high
- What our cholesterol levels tell us about our liver function
29:12 TREND #6: VITAMIN D
- Factors that can cause low vitamin D
- The benefits of getting outside
31:19 TREND #7: DEHYDRATION
- You don’t know how poorly you’re feeling until you start feeling awesome.
- Being dehydrated can impact your whole body
- Best sources for keeping hydrated
32:45 TREND #8: THYROID DYSFUNCTION
- Your thyroid’s role in regulating your hormones
34:09 TREND #9: LOW PROTEIN INTAKE
- Determining if a vegetarian diet is right for your body
- Are we getting enough protein and is our gut able to do what it needs to do with it?
35:00 LIFESTYLE RECOMMENDATIONS TO OPTIMIZE MALE FERTILITY
- How to get a good night’s sleep
- Exercise should be challenging, not exhausting.
- Mental and emotional stress
38:58 OPTIMIZING ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
39:48 SUPPLEMENTS TO SUPPORT MALE FERTILITY
- Our basic supplement recommendations
- Test, don’t guess.
40:51 FINAL THOUGHTS ON MALE FACTOR FERTILITY ISSUES
- Sperm health plays a big role in fertility issues
Fab Fertile Method - https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/what-we-do/
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 193: How To Get Pregnant Naturally With Low AMH/High FSH
- Episode 331: How To Transition From A Standard Western Diet To A Fertility Diet
- Episode 81: How And Why To Do An Elimination Diet
- Episode 184: Why Blood Sugar Matters If You Are TTC
Mentioned in this Episode
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
Use code FEBRUARY2022 to waive your application fee. Valid until Sunday, February 27, 2022.
This episode is sponsored by: Legacy
Legacy: the digital fertility clinic that allows you to test, freeze, and improve your sperm from home. Legacy allows you to test your sperm with a mail-in kit so you can produce a sample in the comfort of your own home. Their kits use a transport media that’s clinically proven to protect and extend the life of sperm for overnight shipping.
Legacy’s kit does not require a prescription, and semen analysis starts at $199. Every client has the option to discuss their results with one of their male fertility specialists if they choose.
Use code FabFertile for 20% off your fertility analysis at GiveLegacy.com.
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: http://bit.ly/getpregnantreview
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/resources/
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button so you never miss an episode!