How To Know For Certain If You Need To Eliminate Gluten When You Are TTC
Jan 09, 2023
We’re digging into why gluten matters if you are TTC.
I get this question all the time, “Should I go gluten free if I’m trying to conceive?”
As you may know, I was diagnosed with premature ovarian insufficiency at 28 and had both my kids with donor eggs. Years later I discovered food sensitivities, gut infections and chronic stress were the cause of my infertility.
I had no idea that gluten was a problem for my health until years later. Looking back the symptoms were there – bloating, dark circles under my eyes (indicator of food sensitivity), acne, dizziness, mood swings, keratosis pilaris (also known as chicken skin on the back of my arms – exfoliation didn’t help) and of course infertility.
As you may know, we work with complex cases such as low AMH, high FSH, diminished ovarian reserve and premature ovarian insufficiency/failure.
We see a theme of non-celiac gluten sensitivity with food sensitivity tests coming back with gluten off the charts.
I'm excited to welcome Brandy Buskow back to the podcast.
Brandy is part of my team here at Fab Fertile. She is an integral part of our Couples Coaching program - which uses functional lab testing, diet, and lifestyle changes to dramatically improve conception. If you are struggling with infertility...your body is desperately trying to tell you something...focusing on your health will either help you get pregnant naturally or if you do need to go to the fertility clinic it will improve your chances of success.
She is a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner and Board Certified Functional Wellness Coach and Master EFT Practitioner. She loves supporting women so they can learn how functional medicine addresses the underlying cause of disease or illness.
In this episode you'll learn:
- Why it is important to go gluten free when we are TTC.
- Consuming gluten during pregnancy and the potential risks for the child.
- Difference between celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity.
- Connection between autoimmune diseases and gluten i.e. Hashimoto’s and Irritable Bowel Disease
- Best test for gluten sensitivity
- Supplements to help with gluten exposure – visit FabFertileStore.com https://www.fabfertilestore.com/
6:03 WELCOME BRANDY BUSKOW & INTRO
7:04 MY EXPERIENCE WITH NON-CELIAC GLUTEN SENSITIVITY
8:06 WHY IS IT IMPORTANT FOR BOTH PARTNERS TO GO GLUTEN FREE WHEN TRYING TO CONCEIVE?
- How gluten consumption can lead to leaky gut
- Every time you eat wheat it causes a reaction.
- What is a leaky gut?
- Research on the effects of gluten on the body
13:07 CELIAC DISEASE AND NON-CELIAC GLUTEN SENSITIVITY
- The difference between celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity
- The gold standard for testing your gluten sensitivity
- Should you avoid gluten during pregnancy?
- You want to treat your body the best way you can while you’re pregnant.
16:14 TESTING OPTIONS FOR CELIAC DISEASE AND GLUTEN SENSITIVITY
- How our elimination diet works
- The key markers we look for with our clients
20:23 AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE AND GLUTEN
- Success stories of the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) Diet
- The connection between gluten and autoimmune disease
- The top cross-reactors of gluten
- Testing for cross-reactors
24:38 STRATEGIES FOR HEALING
- How long does it take for the gut to heal?
- High levels of stress can cause a leaky gut.
- Factors that go into healing the gut
28:10 GLUTEN’S HIDING SPOTS
- Gluten-free versus gluten-light
- Sauces, vitamins and other surprising gluten hiding spots you might not recognize at first
- Alternatives to try for common gluten-containing foods
- Even if there’s a small amount of wheatgrass, if you’re very sensitive to gluten, you are going to react to that.
- Tips for identifying gluten under other names on labels
- Wheat is like a glue.
33:05 YOUR THYROID AND GLUTEN
- It’s very common for people with thyroid issues to also be extremely sensitive to gluten.
- Why we don’t recommend gluten or dairy for women having thyroid issues
35:08 MINIMIZING YOUR EXPOSURE TO GLUTEN WHEN EATING OUT
- What to do before going out to eat
- How to talk to restaurant staff about your gluten sensitivity
- Why it’s worth it to push past the discomfort and ensure your meal is gluten-free
- How to stay gluten free while travelling
- It can be fun, it’s not about deprivation
- As you start to see how food impacts your body, it’s like wow!
39:32 THEMES THAT WE SEE WITH OUR FERTILITY CLIENTS
- Non-celiac gluten sensitivity in women and their partners
- Why couples should go on the gluten-free journey together
- This is one step that can have a big impact and make a big difference.
40:57 DIGESTIVE ISSUES AND BEYOND
- The wide-ranging issues that gluten can cause in your body
- Not having gas and bloating doesn’t mean you don’t have an issue with gluten.
- The types of issues that can be improved by changing your diet
Fab Fertile Method - https://fabfertile.com/pages/what-we-do
How To Improve Your Chances Of Pregnancy Success If You Have Low AMH/High FSH Masterclass - https://www.gpnmasterclass.com/
Prior to working with us, most couples have already been through IVF and failed cycles, been labeled a poor responder, and told they had better rush to another IVF or that donor eggs are their only hope.
I don’t want you to waste money on IVF without looking at the missed healing opportunities as to WHY it’s not working in the first place.
We’ve helped couples get pregnant naturally or improve pregnancy success when they’ve been told donor eggs are their only option. We’ve helped women get pregnant naturally with AMH as low as 0.04 and FSH in the 100s.
Learn how our proven Fab Fertile Method can help improve pregnancy success for YOU.
I’m excited to invite you to a special masterclass - where you’ll learn How To Improve Your Chances Of Pregnancy Success If You Have Low AMH/High FSH.
Register your spot here: www.gpnmasterclass.com
Ready to get a plan for 2023 so that you can have your baby?
In this personalized consultation, you receive a full review of your fertility history so that we can develop a plan that can improve your chances of pregnancy success with your own eggs.
Book your call here with your partner: https://bit.ly/fabfertileapp
Mentioned in this episode
- Gluten and Intestinal Permeability Study: Hollon, J., Puppa, E. L., Greenwald, B., Goldberg, E., Guerrerio, A., & Fasano, A. (2015). Effect of gliadin on permeability of intestinal biopsy explants from celiac disease patients and patients with non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Nutrients, 7(3), 1565–1576. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu7031565
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 346: How To Know If IVF Is Your Next Best Step
- Episode 375: Stop Making These Common Mistakes and Get Your 2023 Action Plan
Episode 6: Functional Medicine 101 and Your Fertility Episode 153: What You Need To Know About The Elimination Diet if You Are TTC Episode 206: Can The AIP Diet Help With Low AMH/High FSH? Episode 111: AIP Diet For Hashimoto’s And Why This Matters If You Are TTC Episode 79: What To Do If You Have Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) and Infertility Episode 193: How To Get Pregnant Naturally With Low AMH/High FSH
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: http://bit.ly/getpregnantreview
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/resources/
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button so you never miss an episode!