Why The Connection Between Food and Mood Matters When You Are TTC
Jun 13, 2022
We’re digging into the connection between food and mood and why this matters when you are TTC.
We all know that we are what we eat.
But do we really know how food impacts our mood?
For years I was eating food that did not support my body or fertility.
Before I figured out the food/mood connection, I thought I was irritable, cranky and anxious.
As I began understanding exactly how what I place on my fork daily dramatically impacts my state of mind, I no longer feel like I’m on a rollercoaster of emotions.
It’s not about perfection. I’m human, so I still get triggered. Working on my mindset is a daily practice. But now, I can identify that the cane sugar in my gluten-free treat made me feel anxious. That subtle yet powerful shift can mean everything.
Caitlin Townsend is part of my team at Fab Fertile. She is an integral part of our Couples Coaching program - which uses functional lab testing, diet, and lifestyle changes to dramatically improve conception. If you are struggling with infertility, your body is desperately trying to tell you something. Focusing on your health will either help you get pregnant naturally or, if you do need to go to the fertility clinic, it will improve your chances of success.
Caitlin is a Functional Nutrition Therapist and Professional Chef.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why you may not eat enough protein and how protein consumption impacts your neurotransmitters and fertility. Plus, quick ideas to add protein to every meal.
- The final word on carbs and how to know which carbs are right for you.
- The impact of your gut on your mood and why this is so important for fertility.
- The importance of breakfast (and knowing which foods you should choose for breakfast – so you can stabilize your blood sugar). Deregulated blood sugar is a theme that we see with low AMH/high FSH.
- How to know which fats to eat. Hint: inflammatory fats can hide everywhere. Healthy fats are crucial to building hormones.
- How to eat enough greens and consume foods from the rainbow. And why chocolate may relieve anxiety.
2:08 WELCOME CAITLIN & INTRODUCE TODAY’S TOPIC
- How what you eat can impact your mood and fertility
4:50 PROTEIN CONSUMPTION
- Getting enough protein in the morning is critical for getting your day started on the right track.
- Why protein is important for your neurotransmitters
- Key steps for vegetarians or vegans to take to ensure you’re maximizing your protein intake
- The best way to prep and cook plant-based proteins
- Animal protein is much easier for our bodies to digest.
- Blood sugar dysregulation can impact your sex hormones.
11:00 COMPLEX CARBS
- Complex carbs can be beneficial for your mood.
- We need extra nutritional resources when we’re trying to conceive
- How complex carbs can positively affect your happiness
- Why restrictive diets often end up resulting in poor eating habits
- It’s so important to listen to your body and your unique needs.
- We advocate for well-balanced lifestyle changes instead of diets
14:03 THE GUT
- Your gut and your mood are directly linked.
- Most of your serotonin and melatonin are produced in the gut
- The trends we see with low AMH/high FSH and gut infections
- How stimulating the vagus nerve helps you get into a parasympathetic state
- Common prebiotics and probiotics you can add to your diet
22:52 EATING BREAKFAST
- Breakfast is key for your fertility.
- Caitlin’s breakfast recommendations
- Some of the delicious recipes you can find in the Fertility Challenge
- Don’t count calories, count chemicals.
- Examples of good fats you can incorporate into your meals
- The critical role of fats in brain function
- Fat is flavour.
32:27 VITAMIN D
- Functional versus conventional reference ranges
- Foods that are rich in Vitamin D
- Symptoms of low Vitamin D
- Why sunshine is essential for your mental health
37:44 EATING THE RAINBOW
- All the colourful fruits and vegetables offer antioxidants
- Why we need antioxidants
39:14 DARK CHOCOLATE
- The numerous benefits of chocolate
- How you can make beautiful chocolate treats at home
45:49 AVOID PROCESSED FOODS
- If it’s got more than 5 ingredients and your grandma wouldn’t know what it is, don’t eat it.
- How to navigate the grocery store
- Your body will always tell you whether certain foods are good for you.
47:34 FINAL THOUGHTS
- How you can bring joy into your food journey
- It’s not about deprivation, it’s about eating awesome foods.
- How the Fertility Challenge can help you with eating for your fertility
Fab Fertile Method - https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/what-we-do/
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 81: How And Why To Do An Elimination Diet
- Episode 331: How To Transition From A Standard Western Diet To A Fertility Diet
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
This episode is sponsored by: Fab Fertile Store
Ensure your preconception supplements are free from dyes, filler, and top allergens. Check out our fertility bundles with the essentials for preconception health.
Visit https://bit.ly/fabfertilestore and use code VIP15 to save 15% off your order.
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: http://bit.ly/getpregnantreview
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/resources/
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button so you never miss an episode!