How Eczema & Other Skin Conditions Can Impact Pregnancy Success
Jan 30, 2023
We’re digging into eczema and why this matters when you are TTC.
I had eczema when I was a baby, and then it flared up in my teens. I remember having itchy eyelids, my lips were allergic to every type of lip balm (they were always cracked and dry), and the skin folds of my arms were red and raw from all my scratching.
I tried every type of cream, but nothing helped. I used hydrocortisone cream for years and saw many dermatologists, but no one could figure out why I had eczema.
As you may know, I was diagnosed with premature ovarian insufficiency at 28.
Fast forward to working on my health. My eczema disappeared when I addressed food sensitivities, gut infections, and chronic stress. No creams required.
The health of the skin is a direct reflection of the health of the gut.
If you have acne, skin rashes, dermatitis, eczema, or psoriasis and are TTC, this is a clue to dig deeper.
Rushing to IVF without addressing your health doesn’t make sense. You’ll waste time and money. However, if you work on your health, you’ll either get pregnant naturally, or if you choose IVF, you’ll increase your chances of implantation and successful pregnancy.
Today I’m welcoming Dr. Ana-Maria Temple. Dr. Temple is a pediatrician specializing in children’s wellness. Her mission is to change kids' and families' lives through clinical work and education. Check out her book: Ending the Eczema Epidemic: Surprising Solutions to Transforming Your Skin from Within.
In today’s episode, you’ll learn:
- Why eczema in babies can be linked to the health of the mother, and what can be done to prevent it
- Why chronic disease begins in the womb and how to optimize preconception health before conception eczema, asthma, seasonal allergies, ear infections, ADHD and anxiety in children
- The hidden root cause of chronic eczema (i.e. leaky skin)
- How do food sensitivities trigger skin rashes (i.e. foods to avoid and foods to add)
03:35 WELCOME DR. ANA-MARIA TEMPLE
04:21 HOW DR. ANA-MARIA STARTED ON THIS JOURNEY
- Three chronically sick kids and feeling unheard at the paediatrician’s office
- Switching to Mama warrior mode to find a way for her kids to thrive without meds
- You just have a vision and you focus.
- How my kids health transformed when we started to focus on diet
12:52 PREPARING YOUR BODY FOR PREGNANCY
- Focusing on your preconception health is an essential step in optimizing your children’s health
- Our body is a cup and we fill it up with inflammation from things in our environment
- If your skin is on fire, your uterus and ovaries are on fire.
- Eczema is not a lotion deficiency.
- When we have internal inflammation that shows up in our skin, it affects our other organs as well
16:53 GUT HEALTH & YOUR HORMONES
- The body keeps count of everything that we do. It also keeps count of every thought that we have.
- Our gut bacteria play a big role in hormone balance
- The trillions of bacteria in our gut interface with our genes to help balance different things in our bodies.
- The baby's gut is absorbing everything through the placenta.
- A C-section increases the child’s risk factors for asthma, allergies, and chronic disease.
23:44: PROJECT ICE STORM
- Research Study | Project Ice Storm: prenatal maternal stress affects cognitive and linguistic functioning in 5 1/2-year-old children
- Stress on the pregnant body goes right through the placenta and causes issues with our children's microbiomes.
26:07 HOW WE CAN PREVENT ECZEMA, ALLERGIES, AND MORE
- We have to believe that what we put in our body matters.
- Getting your mindset right is a crucial first step
- Find a provider that speaks your language.
- A simple way to add more vegetables to your diet
- The more variety we present to our colon and our intestines, the more varied our microbiome is, the more balanced your hormones are, the less inflammation you have, and then fertility is in your cards.
36:34 AVOIDING ANTIBIOTICS AT DELIVERY
- Strong bodies and strong microbiomes reduce the risk of needing antibiotics after delivery
- Sitting is as toxic as smoking.
40:10 FOOD SENSITIVITIES
- The pros and cons of food sensitivity testing
- Why it’s crucial to work with a knowledgeable professional alongside testing
- The gold standard for identifying a food sensitivity
- We never eliminate; we always replace.
44:21 DEFICIENCIES & SKIN ISSUES
- You cannot out-supplement a bad diet.
- We should get our nutrients primarily from food then strategically add in the micronutrients
- Fresh, whole foods will always trump any organic packaged foods
48:41 SUCCESS STORIES
51:24 FREE GIFT & LEARN MORE
- Dr. Ana-Maria Temple’s Mega Shopping List from Costco, Walmart, Aldi, Trader Joe's, and Target
- Dr. Ana-Maria Temple on Instagram
52:35 FINAL THOUGHTS
Fab Fertile Method - https://fabfertile.com/pages/what-we-do
Connect with Dr. Ana-Maria Temple
- Dr. Ana-Maria Temple’s Book | Ending the Eczema Epidemic: Surprising Solutions to Transforming Your Skin from Within
- Dr. Ana-Maria Temple’s Website | DrAnaMaria.com
- Dr. Ana-Maria Temple on Instagram
I’m excited to invite you to a special LIVE masterclass on February 7, 2023 at 8 pm EST. You’ll learn How To Improve Your Chances Of Pregnancy Success If You Have Low AMH/High FSH.
Register your spot here>>> www.getpregnantfreebie.com
I recently heard about a Nobel Prize-winning super antioxidant from my friend Jess. She’s the CEO at C60 Purple Power®, and I was intrigued to learn more after she told me C60 helped her get pregnant naturally… this was after her doctor told her she had no chance of getting pregnant. By the way, Jess is over 40, and she gave me permission to share her secret with you.
I love their products, especially the C60 in Organic Avocado Oil. It’s so good for energy, immunity, skin and hair, plus mitochondria health, which is essential for good optimal health and fertility.
That’s why I’m excited to partner with C60 Purple Power®. They are the leading manufacturer of Carbon 60 health and wellness products; they offer both consumable and topical products that may be just what you need to help you get pregnant.
Go to ShopC60.com and use code FABFERTILE10 to save 10%.
Please note when promoting a product we only select products that either Sarah Clark or her team has tried and believe are beneficial for someone who is TTC. We may receive a small commission.
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 346: How To Know If IVF Is Your Next Best Step
- Episode 364: Why This is My TOP Suggestion For Anyone On The Fertility Journey
Eating for your fertility does not have to suck. It's not about deprivation, it’s eating food that tastes amazing and nourishes your body as you prepare for pregnancy success.
Our Winter Fertility Recipe Guide is ready for you! Grab your FREE copy at FertilityDietFreebie.com.
Your free guide includes a meal plan, grocery shopping list and everything you need to get started with nourishing foods that improve your chances of pregnancy success.
This is a 5-day challenge where you’ll learn how food impacts your body. You won't be drinking green juice and starving. Start this challenge today with your partner.
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
This episode is sponsored by: C60 Purple Power®
I’m excited to partner with C60 Purple Power®. They are the leading manufacturer of Carbon 60 health and wellness products; they offer consumable and topical products that may be just what you need to help you get pregnant.
Go to ShopC60.com and use code FABFERTILE10 to save 10% of your C60 products.
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fabfertile.com/pages/resources
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!
Apple Podcasts: http://apple.co/2CfHEX9