How To Be Your Own Advocate With Pregnancy Loss
Feb 12, 2024
We're digging into medical jargon associated with pregnancy loss.
Navigating the medical system during pregnancy loss can be overwhelming.
That’s why we wanted to break down the medical jargon so you can be your own advocate.
Also, you may notice that we use the term pregnancy loss instead of miscarriage.
This is because you did nothing to miscarry your pregnancy.
Pregnancy loss is not your fault.
Let’s learn how to navigate the confusing medical jargon associated with pregnancy loss so you can ask for the care that is right for you.
Our Fab Fertile Mindset coaches, Samantha and Fatima, join me today! They are an integral part of our Couples Coaching program, which uses functional lab testing, diet, and lifestyle changes to improve conception dramatically. If you are struggling with infertility, your body is desperately trying to tell you something. Focusing on your health will either help you get pregnant naturally or, if you do need to go to the fertility clinic, it will improve your chances of success.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- How we define the different types of pregnancy loss
- What goes into diagnosing a pregnancy loss
- Medication for 1st and 2nd trimester loss
- Understanding D&C and D&E
- Mental and emotional strategies for coping
3:20 WELCOME SAMANTHA COFFIN & FATIMA SHAIKH
5:06 DIFFERENT TYPES OF PREGNANCY LOSS
- This is a really early-stage loss
- Chemical pregnancy losses can be hard to recognize because they often happen before the first doctor's appointment
- There may not be any indication that there's anything of concern
- Often diagnosed at the first ultrasound
- The embryo implants itself somewhere outside of the uterus
- Ectopic pregnancies must be terminated for the mother’s health
- Looking at hCG levels doesn't give you an indication of how well your pregnancy is going.
- Certain conditions like endometriosis increase your risk of having an ectopic pregnancy
- Molar pregnancy is a genetic anomaly that develops abnormal tissues in your uterus
- This can be particularly difficult since you are asked to refrain from trying for the next three to six months
- Spontaneous miscarriages are characterized by bleeding and birth without intervention
- You may not even know that you're having an active miscarriage.
- There are many reasons you may bleed during a healthy pregnancy
VANISHING TWIN SYNDROME
- This happens as a result of a spontaneous reduction of a multi-fetus pregnancy to a singleton pregnancy
- The second embryo is partially or fully reabsorbed into the body
- It’s especially tricky because you have a pregnancy that is successfully progressing while simultaneously mourning a loss
15:31 MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY
- When you're going through a pregnancy loss, there will be some terminology used for medical and insurance purposes that can be jarring
- In the medical field, the word abortion is used to diagnose pregnancy loss.
- Standard terms you may see around a pregnancy loss and the history behind them
- Seeing these terms can be triggering, but know it's not malicious.
18:15 DIAGNOSING PREGNANCY LOSS
- Spotting is not necessarily a sign that you're miscarrying.
- Your doctor is looking for a steady increase in hCG levels over a 48 to 72-hour period.
- Ultrasound is where you want to go and see what is happening outside of a blood test.
- Make sure you’re giving yourself enough compassion and care during this time.
- Your grief is valid, no matter what your pregnancy loss looks like
- Avoid going to your doctor appointments by yourself
- Medications can assist in completing the pregnancy loss in the comfort and privacy of your home
- You may feel pressured to make a quick decision but know that you deserve the space to be well-educated.
- There are services like our community or pregnancy loss doulas that can help navigate what these different medications mean to you
27:06 UNDERSTANDING D&C AND D&E
- D&C (dilation and curettage) is usually performed in the first 13 weeks of pregnancy and is typically an outpatient procedure
- If you’re experiencing a pregnancy loss between 13 to 20 weeks, you may be presented with the option to do a D&E (dilation and evacuation)
- A D&E can be the right choice if you want to avoid having an unmedicated or unassisted birth
- With both procedures, there may be some vaginal bleeding and your body needs time to repair
29:18 COMPASSION & SUPPORT
- Pregnancy loss is a traumatic event.
- It’s essential to have support around you in these situations
- If you can rest and allow yourself space not only to grieve but for your body to process what's going on, please do.
- Take an inventory of what's causing the pain to be a little quieter and what's causing it to be louder.
- There's no right way to grieve.
- If you're the partner of someone who's physically experiencing the loss, the best thing you can do is hold space for the grief that you're both experiencing.
35:52 SETTING BOUNDARIES AROUND SOCIAL MEDIA
- It's okay to delete, block or mute specific profiles.
- WGGE™️ Miscarriage +Baby Loss on Instagram @the_worstgirlgang_ever
36:54 SUPPORT FROM PARTNERS
- It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't been through it.
- It can be devastating for your partner to feel powerless to help you when they want to do everything in their power to help you.
38:58 FINAL THOUGHTS
- When you're going through this, you don't need to be alone.
- Connect with people who have gone through loss and surround yourself with resources and people who will help you get through the loss and the grief of the loss.
Fab Fertile Method - https://fabfertile.com/pages/what-we-do
Prepare your body for a successful pregnancy with Fab For Life Naturals Fertility Collection. Get professional-grade supplements designed to support reproductive health for men and women.
Use code launch15 to save 15%.
Access our foundational supplements for low AMH and/or high FSH here - https://fabfertile.com/collections/supplements
Top Fertility Supplements You Need To Get Pregnant This Year - Access your free guide at www.suppguideffl.com
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 407: The Ultimate Diet For Egg And Sperm Health
- Episode 389: Want to get pregnant this year?
I get this question all the time: Where should I start to optimize pregnancy success?
I developed the Fertility Preparation Bundle https://fabfertile.com/products/fertility-preparation-bundle so that you can quickly figure out how food impacts your health AND fertility (plus you'll also get three (3) of our most popular fertility supplements that will optimize egg health).
This 10-day plan is to figure out exactly how food is impacting your fertility. And no, you will not be drinking green juice and starving.
It’s GENUINELY what we recommend to our clients to help improve pregnancy success (especially if you have low AMH/high FSH).
Get started here https://fabfertile.com/products/fertility-preparation-bundle and use code LAUNCH15 to save 15% (US residents only).
Eating for your fertility does not have to suck and it is not about deprivation. It’s about eating food that tastes amazing and nourishes your body as you prepare for pregnancy success.
I’m excited to announce that our Winter Fertility Recipe Guide is ready! I worked with a chef/nutrition background to prepare these summer recipes. In this 5-day challenge you’ll learn how food impacts your body while enjoying delicious meals - no you will not be drinking green juice and starving! Start this challenge today with your partner.
Your free guide includes a meal plan, grocery shopping list and everything you need to get started with nourishing foods that improve your chances of pregnancy success.
Join my FREE Facebook group and get my training on How To Improve Pregnancy Success With Your Own Eggs.
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fabfertile.com/pages/resources
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!
Apple Podcasts: http://apple.co/2CfHEX9