How To Transition From A Standard Western Diet To A Fertility Diet
Jan 10, 2022
We’re digging into how to move from the Standard American/Western Diet to a healthy diet for your fertility.
Let’s face it, eating a diet that is right for our fertility is confusing.
Whether it’s fertility superfoods, generalized recommendations about what to eat or avoid for optimized fertility… we may not know where to start.
However, we all know that eating packaged processed foods is not healthy for anyone – especially if we are trying to conceive.
Changing to a healthy preconception diet is not about deprivation or eating food that tastes like cardboard.
It’s about finding the most nutrient-dense foods that actually taste good so that you can prepare for a successful pregnancy.
And it's not a “diet” – it’s a lifestyle change that literally is life-changing – our clients tell us so!
You have your WHY, so let’s get started.
I'm excited to welcome Justine Altman back to the podcast.
Justine is part of my team here at Fab Fertile. She is an integral part of our Couples Coaching program - which uses functional lab testing, diet, and lifestyle changes to dramatically improve conception. If you are struggling with infertility... your body is desperately trying to tell you something... focusing on your health will either help you get pregnant naturally or if you do need to go to the fertility clinic it will improve your chances of success.
Justine is a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner. She was diagnosed with PCOS and struggled with infertility but after taking a functional approach was able to have both her children naturally.
In this episode you'll learn:
- How to make the change from the standard western diet to the healthy fertility diet/lifestyle
- How to set your intention so you stay committed. These changes may be simple but they are not easy.
- How to keep it simple without spending hours in the kitchen cooking.
- What to look for on labels so you don’t eat the wrong foods.
- What to do about emotional eating. How to deal with excuses or lack of motivation
- Why it’s important to include your partner in the changes
5:53 WELCOME JUSTINE ALTMAN
7:07 MY BACKGROUND GROWING UP IN A HEALTHY FOOD HOUSEHOLD
- As my friend sat and ate her honey sandwich and Chef Boyardee I was like, give me that.
9:27 JUSTINE’S CHILDHOOD EXPERIENCE WITH JUNK FOOD
- What I thought was making dinner was making a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese or going to pick up McDonald's.
11:17 HOW TO START TRANSITIONING TO A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
- How you ease into it is really different from person to person
- The most important thing is to eliminate the foods that cause inflammation.
- Making the mindset shift from “diet’ to “lifestyle”
- Food choices are a gateway to a healthier lifestyle.
- The surprising ways a healthy lifestyle simplifies your life
15:49 FOCUSING ON YOUR WHY
- Setting your intention helps you to stay on track
- Live a healthy lifestyle for yourself and you'll create a ripple effect.
18:49 THE BEST THING YOU COULD EVER DO IS TO START NOW
- There's always going to be a reason why today or this week or this month isn't the right time.
- Focus on doing the best you can, not on perfection
20:46 KEEPING IT SIMPLE
- Start with the healthy foods you’re comfortable with and expand from there
- It's about making upgrades, not forcing yourself to eat things that you hate
- Allow yourself time for your palate to adjust
23:11 GETTING CONFIDENT ABOUT READING LABELS
- Being strategic in your grocery shopping
- What to watch out for on labels
- Be your own detective with ingredient labels.
26:53 SETTING YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
- How leftovers help you avoid fast food
- Why Justine recommends refreshing your pantry before switching to a healthy lifestyle
29:07 BUILDING THE HABIT
- Be patient with yourself but make a plan and stick with it
- Give yourself grace through the initial tough period
31:12 EMOTIONAL EATING
- Looking at your patterns around food and eating
- Simple strategies you can use to start to shift emotional eating patterns
33:16 KEEP MOVING AND HYDRATED
34:00 GETTING YOUR PARTNER INVOLVED
- Doing this together is key.
- There's really a strong sense of camaraderie
Excited that our LIVE Fertility Diet Challenge is launching on January 24th. You'll receive newly designed chef-prepared recipes (perfect for winter and curated to optimize fertility). There will be daily motivation, guidance and support from the Fab Fertile Team. Join the Fertility Diet Challenge: FertilityDietFreebie.com
Fab Fertile Method - https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/what-we-do/
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
This episode is sponsored by: Fab Fertile Store
Ensure your preconception supplements are free from dyes, filler, and top allergens. Check out our basic recommendations that are essential for preconception health.
Visit FabFertileStore.com to get your 15% discount.
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: http://bit.ly/getpregnantreview
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://wordpress-471581-2904792.cloudwaysapps.com/resources/
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button so you never miss an episode!