Why Addressing These Little Glands Matters for Egg Health and Even POI
Feb 27, 2023
We’re digging into why addressing adrenal dysfunction matters when TTC.
As I write this late in the evening, making sure I don’t miss my podcast deadline – I’m reminded that I used to push myself to the limits ALL the time.
I consider myself dependable, loyal, honest and someone who just gets stuff done.
But getting stuff done (although it’s my superpower) has also compromised my health. I’ve pushed myself too much and didn’t listen to my body.
At 28, I was diagnosed with premature ovarian insufficiency (POI).
I had no idea until years later that the chronic stress (mental, emotional and biochemical) was destroying my fertility.
I was diagnosed with POI over 25 years ago, and the conventional medicine approach has remained the same. We’re told donor eggs are our only option, and we had better get on hormone replacement therapy ASAP to protect our bones and heart.
What I know for sure is there are specific changes you can take right now to address your health and kick-start your fertility.
Let’s learn how to optimize two little glands that influence your egg health, mood, energy, immunity and POI.
Katy Bradbury is part of my team here at Fab Fertile. She is our clinical advisor. She is an integral part of our Couples Coaching program - which uses functional lab testing, diet, and lifestyle changes to dramatically improve conception. If you are struggling with infertility...your body is desperately trying to tell you something...focusing on your health will either help you get pregnant naturally or if you do need to go to the fertility clinic it will improve your chances of success.
Katy Bradbury is a registered nurse and nutritional therapist from the UK.
In this episode you'll learn:
- What the adrenals have to do with fertility (there are differences between adrenal fatigue and HPA dysfunction)
- Signs of adrenal dysfunction and some potential causes
- The impact of the adrenals on the thyroid
- MTHFR and the adrenals (how to support methylation)
- Diet/lifestyle and supplement recommendations to support the adrenals and improve egg health and fertility
4:50 WELCOME KATY BRADBURY
5:42 WHY WE’RE TALKING ABOUT THE ADRENALS
- Chronic stress has a significant impact on our fertility.
- We can’t and shouldn’t do it all.
- The mind is a part of the body - you can’t separate the two
7:49 WHAT ARE THE ADRENALS?
- Adrenal hormones - primarily stress hormones - are produced by the adrenal glands
- Our fight or flight response is an instinctive physiological reaction to any real or perceived threat
- In the modern world, we have the same response to the everyday high-stress situations many of us find ourselves in
11:20 ADRENAL FATIGUE VS. HPA DYSFUNCTION
- We have to consider adrenal hormones in the context of the brain
- The HPA axis and feedback loops between our hormones
15:03 SIGNS OF ADRENAL DYSFUNCTION
- Tired, wired, and anxious
- Many times in conventional medicine, we’re given a pill for anxiety when it’s actually adrenal dysfunction
- Cortisol is an essential hormone involved in our circadian rhythm
- How cortisol is expected to fluctuate throughout the day
- Why you might get a second wind late at night and then find it hard to sleep
- Cortisol works in tandem with melatonin
- Melatonin is a vital antioxidant for our eggs
- Things to consider before rushing to supplement
- Common conditions that indicate your adrenals need support
- Your adrenal function is connected to your immune system
- When your body is in fight or flight, it prioritizes survival over all other systems
25:02 HIGH ACHIEVER IMPATIENCE
- I felt like taking a step back would be a failure.
- So many of us are so used to being stressed that we don’t even recognize it.
- Sometimes it takes an outside perspective to help us to shift habits that aren’t working for us
28:05 SOURCES OF STRESS
- There are myriad ways your body can be under stress, both mentally and physically
- Hidden infections impact the HPS axis and can cause strain on the body
- While high-intensity exercise may feel good at the moment but can be detrimental to your fertility journey
32:00 FOOD INTOLERANCES & GUT HEALTH
- We’re yet to see a couple with no food intolerances
- The many environmental toxins we’re exposed to in our daily lives
34:10 THYROID & ADRENALS
- Testing TSH alone is not enough.
- The thyroid-adrenal connection
36:22 FUNCTIONAL TESTING
- The DUTCH test gives us insights into what’s happening with your adrenals
- The vast majority of us could use some adrenal support
38:14 THE MTHFR GENE & METHYLATION
- How methylation links with the neurotransmitter cycle and your stress response
40:12 NUTRITION & LIFESTYLE
- Eating the rainbow is essential for supporting your adrenals
- Nutrient-dense superfoods that support your hormone health
- Foods that can negatively impact your stress response
- Shifting into healthier sleep habits
- Getting support can be a crucial factor in making necessary changes without the overwhelm
- Simple things you can do to support your mental and emotional health
45:42 SUPPLEMENTS TO SUPPORT YOUR ADRENALS
- Vitamins, minerals, and adaptogens that can offer good support
- We highly recommend working with a practitioner before taking supplements
47:46 FINAL THOUGHTS
Fab Fertile Method - https://fabfertile.com/pages/what-we-do
Eating for your fertility does not have to suck. It's not about deprivation, it’s eating food that tastes amazing and nourishes your body as you prepare for pregnancy success.
Our Winter Fertility Recipe Guide is ready for you! Grab your FREE copy at FertilityDietFreebie.com.
Your free guide includes a meal plan, grocery shopping list and everything you need to get started with nourishing foods that improve your chances of pregnancy success.
This is a 5-day challenge where you’ll learn how food impacts your body. You won't be drinking green juice and starving. Start this challenge today with your partner.
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 364: Why This Is My Top Suggestion For Anyone On The Fertility Journey
- Episode 375: Stop Making These Common Mistakes and Get Your 2023 Action Plan
Join my FREE Facebook group and get my training on How To Improve Pregnancy Success With Your Own Eggs.
Book your Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery call here with your partner
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
This episode is sponsored by: C60 Purple Power®
I recently heard about a Nobel Prize-winning super antioxidant from my friend Jess. She’s the CEO at C60 Purple Power®, and I was intrigued to learn more after she told me C60 helped her get pregnant naturally… this was after her doctor told her she had no chance of getting pregnant. By the way, Jess is over 40, and she gave me permission to share her secret with you.
I love their products, especially the C60 in Organic Avocado Oil. It’s so good for energy, immunity, skin and hair, plus mitochondria health, which is essential for good optimal health and fertility.
That’s why I’m excited to partner with C60 Purple Power®. They are the leading manufacturer of Carbon 60 health and wellness products; they offer both consumable and topical products that may be just what you need to help you get pregnant.
Go to ShopC60.com and use code FABFERTILE10 to save 10% of your C60 products.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fabfertile.com/pages/resources
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!
Apple Podcasts: http://apple.co/2CfHEX9
Google Podcasts: https://www.google.com/podcasts?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9nZXRwcmVnbmFudC5saWJzeW4uY29tL3Jzcw%3D%3D