HeartMath: A Simple Technique for Managing Stress When TTC
Dec 19, 2022
We’re digging into the research on how to manage stress with heart rate variability.
We all know that stress matters when we are TTC.
But how do we quickly identify and address the stressors in our lives?
Right now, you may be meditating, visualizing, practicing breathwork, doing yoga, progressive muscle relaxation, acupuncture and more to reduce stress.
And while we like all of those modalities, and we can use them to move us from the sympathetic (fight or flight) to the parasympathetic (rest and digest), many of these techniques may not be truly effective.
You can meditate and still experience an incoherent heart rate because you may be dealing with frustration, impatience, anger, and sadness that keeps you stuck in a pattern that drives cortisol production.
That’s why we love this simple technique that uses heart-focused breathing that moves us from stressed to calm in only a few minutes. And when done consistently, we can see improvements in energy, sleep, focus, calmness, anxiety and depression.
The goal is to bring the brain, body, mind and emotions into balanced alignment.
I know you may be cleaning up your diet and throwing out the toxins, but if we don’t address our stress, we miss a significant healing opportunity.
Today I’m excited to welcome Sheva Carr to the podcast. Sheva is the Founding CEO of Fyera! / Heart Ambassadors, the Fyera Foundation, and a Co-Director of HeartMath Healthcare and HeartMath’s Heart Mastery program.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why heart rate variability is so crucial for health and hormonal balance
- How to move from the stress response to the relaxation response using a simple yet powerful technique
- What research tells us about this technique and why it is so effective for overall health (i.e. 25 years of research and over 400 peer-reviewed studies)
- How we can move from impatience to trusting our intuition that everything is working for us
04:38 WELCOME SHEVA CARR
05:19 THE QUICK COHERENCE® TECHNIQUE FROM HEARTMATH
- How you can use this heart-focused breathing exercise on your fertility journey and beyond
- HeartMath Institute | Quick Coherence® Technique
12:38 SHEVA’S JOURNEY
- Living in a war zone and coming back with amenorrhea and numerous physical, mental and emotional issues
- Acupuncture was the one thing that got me out of pain.
- How a spring break job at HeartMath helped Sheva restore her period after over six years without it
- Research Study | The Impact of a New Emotional Self-Management Program on Stress, Emotions, Heart Rate Variability, DHEA and Cortisol
- The role of DHEA in the body
- How Sheva incorporated HeartMath into her practice with her patients
- Practising these skills can improve the efficacy of allopathic interventions like IVF.
21:21 BUILDING THE CAPACITY TO SELF-REGULATE
- Simple techniques can have a massive impact on your health.
- The vast majority of human beings are maladapted to stress.
- When living in a stressed state is all we know, we don’t recognize that we’re out of balance
- What is familiar and what is optimal are different
- For many people, when they find ways to reduce the stress of infertility, that’s when they get pregnant
- HeartMath gives us the science to explain seemingly miraculous events
- People get excited about their labs, but the mental and emotional aspects are essential.
31:25 DEPLETION TO RENEWAL
- Watch now: The Depletion to Renewal™ Grid
- Depletion to Renewal™ Grid
- How our emotions drive our autonomic nervous system and endocrine system
- Depression is relaxed stress.
- Motivation and relaxation aren’t the antidotes to stress; coherence is.
- Understanding the coherence side of things
- Emotions and Heart Rhythms
- When we feel things like appreciation, calm, patience and confidence it stabilizes the heart rhythm
36:05 YOUR HEART’S BLUEPRINT
- You must listen to your inner compass.
- HeartMath teaches us that healing is an inside job.
- Don’t wait for conception to feel the feelings you seek
41:00 DEALING WITH IMPATIENCE ON THE FERTILITY JOURNEY
- Impatience is one of the ways we lie to ourselves
- Remembering that there are many ways to mother
- You can’t let anyone tell you you’re not a mother.
- Mothering is a frequency and energy from the heart, not a biological event
48:17 HOW HEARTMATH CAN SUPPORT YOU ON YOUR FERTILITY JOURNEY
49:40 FINAL THOUGHTS
- Love is everyone’s birthright.
Fab Fertile Method - https://fabfertile.com/pages/what-we-do
Connect with Sheva Carr & Learn More About HeartMath
- Free HeartMastery Consultation with a Certified HeartMath Professional
- Heart Ambassadors
- HeartMath Institute
- Heart Mastery
Check out our favourite HRV monitor: the Inner Balance Trainer - save 15% using our code VIP15
- Real-time HRV feedback - Measure your heart rate variability and coherence level during live sessions.
- Learn a valuable stress relief technique - Audio leads you through the quick and effective Quick Coherence® technique.
- Real-time coaching tips - Encouraging on-screen prompts guide your practice and help you increase coherence points.
Tracking your hormones is essential but getting bloodwork each month can be time consuming and expensive.
I'm excited to introduce you to the Inito fertility monitor, an easy, at-home fertility tracker that gives accurate results, while cutting down on your time and expenses.
Inito not only tells you when you're the most fertile by measuring estrogen and LH but also confirms if you’ve actually ovulated by measuring progesterone.
If you’re ready to start tracking your fertility easily at home, go to Inito.com and use code FABFERTILE15 to save 15% on your fertility tracker.
Please note when promoting a product we only select products that either Sarah Clark or her team has tried and believe are beneficial for someone who is TTC. We may receive a small commission.
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 346: How To Know If IVF Is Your Next Best Step
- Episode 364: Why This is My TOP Suggestion fFor Anyone On The Fertility Journey
Eating for your fertility does not have to suck. It's not about deprivation, it’s eating food that tastes amazing and nourishes your body as you prepare for pregnancy success.
Our Winter Fertility Recipe Guide is ready for you! Grab your FREE copy at FertilityDietFreebie.com.
Your free guide includes a meal plan, grocery shopping list and everything you need to get started with nourishing foods that improve your chances of pregnancy success.
This is a 5-day challenge where you’ll learn how food impacts your body. You won't be drinking green juice and starving. Start this challenge today with your partner.
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fabfertile.com/pages/resources
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!
Apple Podcasts: http://apple.co/2CfHEX9