How To Reduce The Risk of Miscarriage and Enhance Fertility By Eliminating Toxins with Rachel Varga
Sep 25, 2023
In this episode, we're digging into how to minimize toxin exposure while TTC.
We are exposed to over 85,000 chemicals in our environment.
Environmental working group scientists have identified dozens of studies published in the past five years that report the presence of PFAS, or perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances, in cord blood.
“The presence of these chemicals is also a threat to pregnant people, serving as first contacts with PFAS before they can pass from the uterus to the developing fetus by way of the umbilical cord.”
We’re exposed to chemicals in our food, personal care products, water, consumer goods and cleaning products.
Turns out these chemicals are linked to endocrine disruptors that impact both male and female fertility.
Women with a history of miscarriage may have up to 300% more of a chemical used in perfumes and cosmetics in their bloodstream than women who have never miscarried. (Human Reproduction Journal).
Two common chemicals in leather upholstery, carpets, soap, toothpaste, and even baby bottles have been linked to high infertility rates. (American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology).
So, how do you protect yourself and your future children?
I'm excited to welcome Rachel Varga to the podcast. Rachel Varga, BScN, RN, CANS, is a Double Board Certified Aesthetic Nurse Specialist.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- Health issues linked to toxins and why this is crucial for anyone TTC
- What to look for when you are replacing products with non-toxic options
- Options for personal care and skin care routines that are safe for fertility and pregnancy
3:37 WELCOME RACHEL VARGA
4:28 RACHEL’S JOURNEY TO BECOMING A DOUBLE BOARD-CERTIFIED AESTHETIC NURSE SPECIALIST
- When you clean up your environment in preparation for getting pregnant, your skin benefits too.
- Options for gradually reducing your toxin exposure
- The importance of switching to non-toxic personal care products when trying to conceive
7:43 PERSONAL CARE PRODUCTS
- Heavy-hitter chemicals to avoid in your personal care products
- How Rachel helps her clients figure out the best products for them
- Chemical sunscreen is a toxin I find that gets snuck in.
12:07 THE GUT-SKIN CONNECTION
- The skin's health directly reflects gut health, and the gut is tied to the ovaries.
- Why it’s best to work with an experienced practitioner to identify high-quality personal care products
- You'll get the best skin of your life when your oxidative stress status is as low as possible.
- The skin is the late showcase of what's going on internally.
- Why it’s essential to start with gut health when addressing hormone issues
18:14 BIG BEAUTY & THE BUSINESS OF COSMETICS
- The connection between Big Pharma, Big Food and Big Beauty
- How facial gua sha can help with breakouts
21:58 FACIAL ROLLING
- Using a roller for skincare and Rachel’s recommendation for dermal rolling instead
- The problem with DIY-ing your skincare
28:23 CHOOSING THE BEST PRODUCTS FOR YOU
- How to identify high-quality brands and products
- Every brand has superstars, and every brand has duds.
30:00 SENSITIVE SKIN SKINCARE ROUTINE
- You can overcome sensitive skin in about two weeks.
- Rachel’s tips for overcoming sensitive skin
- Essential components of a proper skincare routine
- Most heavy metal our body takes in is actually from the air.
31:57 SKINCARE REGIMEN
- How to properly cleanse your skin
- You just don't know how good your skin can feel until you start to make improvements in your protocol.
- Why Rachel doesn’t recommend makeup removers or micellar water
- The negative effects of alcohol on the skin
- Adaptogenic drinks can help to keep your adrenals in check.
- Alcohol is like poison to the gut.
- Considerations for building a skincare routine
- Benefits of sun exposure for overall health
41:22 RACHEL’S FAVOURITE PRODUCTS
- Biohacking Products and Tools | TheSchoolOfRadiance.com/biohacking
- Find out what’s right for your specific skin with a One-on-One Call with Rachel - Get 15% off using code sarahclark
- Rachel's Free Skincare Checklist | SkincareChecklist.com
- Rachel's Always Radiant Skin Podcast
42:52 FINAL THOUGHTS
- Be cautious of health influencers and choose those who have radiance and goodness in their eyes.
- Being a conscious consumer and avoiding shiny object syndrome
Fab Fertile Method - https://fabfertile.com/pages/what-we-do
Connect with Rachel Varga
- Rachel Varga’s Website | TheSchoolOfRadiance.com
- Always Radiant Skin Podcast
- Rachel Varga on Instagram @RachelVargaOfficial
Eating for your fertility does not have to suck and it is not about deprivation. It’s about eating food that tastes amazing and nourishes your body as you prepare for pregnancy success.
I’m excited to announce that our Summer Fertility Recipe Guide is ready! I worked with a chef/nutrition background to prepare these summer recipes. In this 5-day challenge you’ll learn how food impacts your body while enjoying delicious meals - no you will not be drinking green juice and starving! Start this challenge today with your partner.
Your free guide includes a meal plan, grocery shopping list and everything you need to get started with nourishing foods that improve your chances of pregnancy success.
I get this question all the time: Where should I start to optimize pregnancy success?
I developed the Fertility Preparation Bundle https://fabfertile.com/products/fertility-preparation-bundle so that you can quickly figure out how food impacts your health AND fertility (plus you'll also get three (3) of our most popular fertility supplements that will optimize egg health).
This 10-day plan is to figure out exactly how food is impacting your fertility. And no, you will not be drinking green juice and starving.
It’s GENUINELY what we recommend to our clients to help improve pregnancy success (especially if you have low AMH/high FSH).
Get started here https://fabfertile.com/products/fertility-preparation-bundle and use code LAUNCH15 to save 15%.
I'm excited to announce the launch of our Fab For Life Naturals Fertility Collection! Fab For Life Naturals Fertility Collection. FFLNaturals.com
Get professional-grade supplements designed to support reproductive health for men and women. Prepare your body for a successful pregnancy with Fab For Life Naturals Fertility Collection.
Visit FFLNaturals.com and use code LAUNCH15 to save 15%.
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 407: The Ultimate Diet For Egg And Sperm Health
- Episode 389: Want to get pregnant this year?
Join my FREE Facebook group and get my training on How To Improve Pregnancy Success With Your Own Eggs.
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fabfertile.com/pages/resources
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!
Apple Podcasts: http://apple.co/2CfHEX9