Why Adrenal Insufficiency Can Be A Factor with Low AMH and High FSH
Oct 02, 2023
We’re digging into why addressing adrenal insufficiency matters when TTC.
I can’t tell you how many people I speak with that have low AMH/high FSH that are:
- Working more than 50 hours per week and dealing with a toxic workplace and/or demanding boss
- Holding down a full-time job and in graduate school
- Have experienced a traumatic event such as pregnancy loss or death in the family
- Dealing with relationship struggles or estrangement with family members
- Have tried unsuccessfully to get pregnant for years with multiple rounds of IVF
- Have been told donor eggs are their only hope
Chronic stress is real. We see it all the time with low AMH/high FSH. The good thing is there are targeted strategies to address the stress, heal your adrenals, optimize your egg health and restore your fertility.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- What the adrenals have to do with fertility (differences between adrenal fatigue and HPA dysfunction)
- Signs of adrenal dysfunction and some potential causes
- The impact of the adrenals on the thyroid
- MTHFR and the adrenals (how to support methylation)
- Diet/lifestyle and supplement recommendations to support the adrenals and improve egg health and fertility
2:30 WELCOME KATY BRADBURY
3:18 WHY WE’RE TALKING ABOUT THE ADRENALS
- Chronic stress has a significant impact on our fertility.
- We can’t and shouldn’t do it all.
- The mind is a part of the body - you can’t separate the two
5:33 WHAT ARE THE ADRENALS?
- Adrenal hormones - primarily stress hormones - are produced by the adrenal glands
- Our fight or flight response is an instinctive physiological reaction to any real or perceived threat
- In the modern world, we have the same response to the everyday high-stress situations many of us find ourselves in
9:09 ADRENAL FATIGUE VS. HPA DYSFUNCTION
- We have to consider adrenal hormones in the context of the brain
- The HPA axis and feedback loops between our hormones
12:43 SIGNS OF ADRENAL DYSFUNCTION
- Tired, wired, and anxious.
- Many times in conventional medicine, we’re given a pill for anxiety when it’s actually adrenal dysfunction
- Cortisol is an essential hormone involved in our circadian rhythm
- How cortisol is expected to fluctuate throughout the day
- Why you might get a second wind late at night and then find it hard to sleep
- Cortisol works in tandem with melatonin
- Melatonin is a vital antioxidant for our eggs
- Things to consider before rushing to supplement
- Common conditions that indicate your adrenals need support
- Your adrenal function is connected to your immune system
- When your body is in fight or flight, it prioritizes survival over all other systems
22:10 HIGH ACHIEVER IMPATIENCE
- I felt like taking a step back would be a failure.
- So many of us are so used to being stressed that we don’t even recognize it.
- Sometimes it takes an outside perspective to help us to shift habits that aren’t working for us
25:11 SOURCES OF STRESS
- There are myriad ways your body can be under stress, both mentally and physically
- Hidden infections impact the HPS axis and can cause strain on the body
- While high-intensity exercise may feel good at the moment but can be detrimental to your fertility journey
29:02 FOOD INTOLERANCES & GUT HEALTH
- We’re yet to see a couple with no food intolerances
- The many environmental toxins we’re exposed to in our daily lives
31:14 THYROID & ADRENALS
- Testing TSH alone is not enough.
- The thyroid-adrenal connection
33:24 FUNCTIONAL TESTING
- The DUTCH test gives us insights into what’s happening with your adrenals
- The vast majority of us could use some adrenal support
35:17 THE MTHFR GENE & METHYLATION
- Get Pregnant Naturally | Episode 396: What The MTHFR Gene Variant Means For Your Fertility
- How methylation links with the neurotransmitter cycle and your stress response
37:28 NUTRITION & LIFESTYLE
- Eating the rainbow is essential for supporting your adrenals
- Nutrient-dense superfoods that support your hormone health
- Foods that can negatively impact your stress response
- Shifting into healthier sleep habits
- Getting support can be a crucial factor in making necessary changes without the overwhelm
- Simple things you can do to support your mental and emotional health
43:22 SUPPLEMENTS TO SUPPORT YOUR ADRENALS
- Vitamins, minerals, and adaptogens that can offer good support
- We highly recommend working with a practitioner before taking supplements
44:52 FINAL THOUGHTS
Fab Fertile Method - https://fabfertile.com/pages/what-we-do
I get this question all the time: Where should I start to optimize pregnancy success?
I developed the Fertility Preparation Bundle https://fabfertile.com/products/fertility-preparation-bundle so that you can quickly figure out how food impacts your health AND fertility (plus you'll also get three (3) of our most popular fertility supplements that will optimize egg health).
This 10-day plan is to figure out exactly how food is impacting your fertility. And no, you will not be drinking green juice and starving.
It’s GENUINELY what we recommend to our clients to help improve pregnancy success (especially if you have low AMH/high FSH).
Get started here https://fabfertile.com/products/fertility-preparation-bundle and use code LAUNCH15 to save 15%.
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 407: The Ultimate Diet For Egg And Sperm Health
- Episode 389: Want to get pregnant this year?
Join my FREE Facebook group and get my training on How To Improve Pregnancy Success With Your Own Eggs.
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fabfertile.com/pages/resources
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!
Apple Podcasts: http://apple.co/2CfHEX9