What The MTHFR Gene Variant Means For Your Fertility
Apr 10, 2023
We’re digging into the MTHFR gene variant and why this matters when you are TTC.
You may have heard about the importance of getting tested for the MTHFR gene variant if you are trying to conceive.
MTHFR variants are associated with difficult conception and early pregnancy loss due to problems with the endometrium and implantation.
IVF studies have shown that women with MTHFR mutations are more likely to experience recurrent implantation failure.
Some men with fertility problems have low MTHFR function in their sperm.
You can’t change your genes, but there is a lot you can do to support your nutrient levels, bypassing the MTHFR enzyme. These include lifestyle changes, dietary habits, and supplementation.
Today I’m excited to welcome Ricardo Miranda. Ricardo is the CEO of MTHFRdoctors.com. He is a clinician and one of the top researchers in the field of MTHFR genetic mutation.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- Why addressing MTHFR is essential when you are on the fertility journey (i.e. which supplement is essential and what so many people are still getting this wrong)
- What studies tell us about MTHFR and optimal fertility
- The link between miscarriage and MTHFR gene variant
- Why testing blood homocysteine is crucial, and it’s still not a standard of care in conventional medicine
- Specific diet and lifestyle strategies and exactly which markers to test
2:47 WELCOME RICARDO MIRANDA
3:49 HOW RICARDO CAME TO HIS WORK WITH MTHFR
- Our DNA is not our destiny.
5:33 MTHFR IS LINKED TO INFERTILITY IN MEN AND WOMEN
- The link between MTHFR and infertility, miscarriage, and thyroid hormone activation
- Methylation is directly related to thyroid hormone activation.
- A personalized approach is vital to everything in health.
- Why homocysteine shouldn’t be used as the primary marker for methylation
- How MTHFR gene mutations impact homocysteine levels
- Factoring MTHFR mutations into folate testing
11:36 HOMOZYGOUS VS. HETEROZYGOUS MTHFR GENE MUTATION
- How to know if you have a homozygous or heterozygous MTHFR gene mutation
- The importance of determining the type of mutation you have
- 80% of the population has at least one MTHFR mutation.
14:03 THE CORRELATION BETWEEN MTHFR MUTATION AND AUTISM
- What happens when expecting mothers with MTHFR consume a lot of folic acid
- Why Ricardo recommends replacing folic acid with methylated folate
- Get Pregnant Naturally | Episode 349: Why Autism Matters When You Are TTC and How To Improve Preconception Health
18:14 MTHFR MUTATION & IVF
- Women with MTHFR mutations are more likely to experience recurrent implantation failure.
- Potential benefits of folate supplementation for men with low MTHFR function.
- The importance of a personalized protocol, especially for couples with MTHFR mutations
22:58 HOW METHYLATION IMPACTS ESTROGEN
- Special considerations when it comes to estrogen balance
- Methylation affects every part of the body.
- Issues associated with estrogen dominance and low estrogen levels
25:22 HOMOCYSTEINE LEVELS
- The functional range for blood homocysteine
- Why Ricardo recommends looking at homocysteine in conjunction with folate levels
27:26 METHYLFOLATE VS. FOLIC ACID
- Stop immediately if you have an adverse reaction to methylfolate
- Niacin is the antidote for an overreaction of methylfolate.
- What to consider if you’re reacting to methylfolate
- Potential side effects of methylfolate
30:16 SUPPLEMENTATION TO IMPROVE FERTILITY
- The importance of B6 for the methylation pathway
- The risks of over-supplementation
- Less is more sometimes.
- Fab Fertile Article | How MTHFR and methylation affect fertility with high FSH and low AMH
- Research your medications and potential nutrient depletion
35:51 MTHFR TESTING
- The main tests Ricardo recommends
- Why we prefer to refer to functional ranges vs. lab ranges
- Get Pregnant Naturally | Episode 394: Why Vitamin D Deficiency Can Negatively Impact Egg Health and Sperm Health
38:46 FINAL THOUGHTS
Connect with Ricardo Miranda
- Ricardo Miranda’s Website | MTHFRDoctors.com
- MTHFR Testing
- Free Ebook | MTHFR: Top Ten List of What To Do
Excited to announce the launch of our Fab For Life Naturals Fertility Collection!
Get professional-grade supplements designed to support reproductive health for men and women. Prepare your body for a successful pregnancy with Fab For Life Naturals Fertility Collection.
Visit FFLNaturals.com and use code LAUNCH15 to save 15%.
I'm excited to introduce you to the Inito fertility monitor, an easy, at-home fertility tracker that gives accurate results, while cutting down on your time and expenses.
Inito not only tells you when you're the most fertile by measuring estrogen and LH but also confirms if you’ve actually ovulated by measuring progesterone.
If you’re ready to start tracking your fertility easily at home, go to Inito.com and use code FABFERTILE15 to save 15% on your fertility tracker.
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 364: Why This Is My TOP Suggestion For Anyone On The Fertility Journey
- Episode 389: Want to get pregnant this year?
Join my FREE Facebook group and get my training on How To Improve Pregnancy Success With Your Own Eggs.
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fabfertile.com/pages/resources
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!
Apple Podcasts: http://apple.co/2CfHEX9