What exactly makes a great fertility diet? Keto? Paleo? Carnivore? Vegan?
Apr 17, 2023
We're digging into how to know which diet is right for your fertility.
POP QUIZ: What exactly makes a great diet to optimize fertility?
Truth is, it’s none of the above.
The most important factor is consuming the diet that is right for YOU...
✅Because those diets may have worked for someone else, but…
✅We’re all DIFFERENT and that diet might not be right for YOU
That’s why it’s so important to figure out right now…
> How food impact your health and ultimately your reproductive health
> Which foods you need to AVOID so that you can reduce inflammation
> Which foods you need to ADD so that you can prepare for pregnancy success
Because remember: If your body is under attack (even by a seemingly healthy food). It wants to survive not procreate.
So once you’ve figured out the foods that are right for your body…
You can personalize your diet so that you can improve your fertility..
One of my favorite ways to do this by starting an elimination diet…
Basically, you’re taking out the TOP allergens for 10 days…
These include gluten, dairy, corn, eggs, soy, peanuts, processed sugar and alcohol.
Then you systematically reintroduce the foods over the course of 30 days.
And then you’ll know how these foods impact your BODY and FERTILITY.
This is a customized approach and you’ll know for sure how FOOD impacts your body. …
There’s never a great time to start (i.e. don’t pick vacation or birthday).
However, you need to rip off the bandaid and START.
✅Get our free Fertilty Diet Guide (includes 5 day meal plan/grocery shopping list - all free from the TOP allergens).
In this episode, you'll learn:
1) Is your infertility a symptom of something else going on in your body? (Hint – digestive issues, skin problems, mood problems, joint issues and autoimmunity are ALL clues).
2) What is a leaky gut, and why this matters if you are TTC.
3) Which foods to avoid during the elimination. How to reintroduce the foods (this part is crucial).
4) Which foods will you eat (it is NOT about starving or drinking green juice).
5) How to commit and actually start the elimination diet. Gluten light/dairy light do NOT work.
6) Supplement recommendations and lifestyle strategies to support you during an elimination diet.
3:38 INTRODUCTION TO TODAY’S TOPIC & WELCOME BRANDY BUSKOW
5:33 A FUNCTIONAL APPROACH TO AN INFERTILITY DIAGNOSIS
- Health issues that we typically see alongside an infertility diagnosis
- We often see digestive, mood, skin issues and more
- It’s important to step back and listen for the clues our body gives us.
10:15 UNDERSTANDING LEAKY GUT
- Leaky gut can lead to a lot of these issues
- What is leaky gut?
- Stress is the number one cause of leaky gut.
- What happens when leaky gut goes untreated
- The connection between glyphosate (a herbicide in Roundup) and leaky gut
- How switching to organic foods benefits your gut
17:23 WHY WE START WITH A FOOD ELIMINATION DIET
- You don’t know how poorly you’re feeling until you feel awesome.
- We have you remove certain foods from your diet for 10 days then reintroduce them gradually afterwards
- The foods you should avoid in an elimination diet
- Surprising sources of gluten that may be in your diet
- Dairy is very rewarding to the dopamine centres in your brain, making it hard to give up.
- The problem with processed sugar
24:54 TOP GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOODS TO AVOID
- Artificial sweeteners are very disruptive to the gut microbiome.
- The simple rules you can use to identify better food options
31:03 WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU START THE ELIMINATION DIET
- How to start reintroducing foods after the first 10 days
- We always recommend at the minimum taking out dairy and gluten for 60 days.
- There is no perfect time to start.
35:07 WHY GLUTEN-LIGHT & DAIRY-LIGHT DON’T WORK
- If you’re going to eliminate gluten, you have to do it all the way.
- For people with gluten sensitivity, it can take months to heal from a gluten exposure
- You need to be patient but it’s definitely worth it.
38:26 GLUTEN CROSS-REACTORS
- What are gluten cross-reactors?
- Red flags that signal you might have issues with cross-reactors
40:40 DETOX SYMPTOMS
- You might experience some of these symptoms when you start the elimination diet
- Once you get past day four things tend to get a lot better.
- How to support your liver during the elimination diet
- Movement is very important.
- It’s critical that you recognize the importance of what you place on your fork everyday.
43:54 FINAL THOUGHTS
Fab Fertile Method - https://fabfertile.com/pages/what-we-do
Mentioned in this episode
- Fab Fertile Support Group | Symptom Checklist
- Environmental Working Group
- EWG’s Dirty Dozen Guide to Food Chemicals: The top 12 to avoid
Eating for your fertility does not have to suck and it is not about deprivation. It’s about eating food that tastes amazing and nourishes your body as you prepare for pregnancy success.
I’m excited to announce that our Spring Fertility Recipe Guide is ready! I worked with a chef/nutrition background to prepare these summer recipes. In this 5-day challenge you’ll learn how food impacts your body while enjoying delicious meals - no you will not be drinking green juice and starving! Start this challenge today with your partner.
Your free guide includes a meal plan, grocery shopping list and everything you need to get started with nourishing foods that improve your chances of pregnancy success.
Legacy, the digital fertility clinic for men, allows you to test your sperm from home.
Our favourite is the Test For Today - Semen Analysis
Get 15% off your fertility analysis using my code, FabFertile15 at checkout.
*You may be able to your Health Spending Account or insurance.*
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 391: Stop Wasting Time and Money Taking The Wrong Fertility Supplements
- Episode 389: Want to get pregnant this year?
- Episode 360: Why Your Blood Chemistry Matters and How To Improve Your Markers When You Are TTC
- Episode 332: How To Know If Gluten Needs To Be Avoided When You Are TTC
- Episode 6: Functional Medicine 101 and Your Fertility
- Episode 17: Do You Really Need To Switch To Organic?
Join my FREE Facebook group and get my training on How To Improve Pregnancy Success With Your Own Eggs.
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fabfertile.com/pages/resources
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!
Apple Podcasts: http://apple.co/2CfHEX9