Why A Healthy Microbiome Matters For Egg and Sperm Health
Apr 03, 2023
We’re digging into how to select the right probiotic to improve fertility.
Probiotics seem to be everywhere. Products such as yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha and shots of apple cider vinegar all tout a beneficial impact on your gut.
The oral, gut and vaginal microbiome all play an important role in optimal fertility.
As part of our Fab Fertile Method, we utilize cutting-edge functional testing that helps to identify infections and replenish beneficial bacteria in the gut and vaginal microbiome.
Optimizing the health of the vagina and womb is essential to guard against infection to ensure a conducive environment for fertilization and implantation.
Plus, when we reduce inflammation, this helps both egg and sperm health.
So how do we optimize our microbiome as we prepare for pregnancy success?
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- What the studies are telling us about gut health for both male and female fertility
- Why this blood marker is key to addressing inflammation, and why this matters for anyone on the fertility journey
- Nutrition and supplement recommendations to improve the gut microbiome
2:36 WELCOME KATY BRADBURY
3:30 WHY WE’RE TALKING ABOUT PROBIOTICS
- It’s important to select the correct probiotic to optimize your fertility
- Sugar feeds the bad bacteria.
- Food marketing has latched onto the term probiotics
- Most of the “probiotic” products you find at the supermarket leave a lot to be desired
5:05 WHY GUT HEALTH MATTERS
- Your gut heath has a big impact on your fertility
- The gut is one of the main places we find hidden inflammation
- Common factors that can lead to leaky gut
- What leaky gut is and how it works
- What are microbiomes?
9:31 RESEARCH ON OUR MICROBIOMES & FERTILITY
- What research shows about the connection between the vaginal microbiome and fertility
- Ghent University Study | Risks associated with bacterial vaginosis in infertility patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis
- Get Pregnant Naturally | Episode 341: Why A Healthy Vaginal Microbiome Matters When You Are TTC
- How your oral microbiome impacts your fertility
- Research Study | The Placenta Harbors a Unique Microbiome
- We want bacteria to live in our bodies, we just want it to be the right kind.
- Underlying inflammation can often be associated with estrogen dominance and fertility issues
- Research Study | Homeostasis Imbalance in the Endometrium of Women with Implantation Defects: The Role of Estrogen and Progesterone
- Why dysbiosis causes an inflammatory response
- The optimal range for c-reactive protein (CRP) is below 1.5
- High inflammation markers give us a clue that there’s a missed healing opportunity to dig into
- Acute inflammation protects our bodies
- Knowing your numbers is extremely helpful
24:20 HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT PROBIOTICS FOR YOU
- Markers of high-quality probiotic supplements
- Generally speaking you want to go broad-spectrum
- Lactobacilli are the only species we want to see in the vaginal tract.
- We want to avoid antibiotics where possible
- Having a guide to help you on this process makes a big difference
30:44 PROBIOTICS FOR MALE FERTILITY
- The sperm is responsive to what’s happening in the body
- Oxidative stress is terrible news for sperm
- Over the last 40 years sperm counts have reduced by 50%.
- There are many things men can do to optimize their fertility
- Common factors affecting fertility that need to be addressed
35:24 PROBIOTICS & PREBIOTICS
- The difference between probiotics and prebiotics
- How the ketogenic diet negatively affects the gut microbiome
- The best way to get more fiber into your diet is to eat a diverse array of plant foods
- Foods that are rich in probiotics
- Who should avoid probiotic foods
43:33 GUT REPAIR
- Dietary recommendations for gut repair
- There’s a big difference between stock and bone broth
- Any gut repair protocol needs to be done under the guidance of a practitioner
- Why we recommend a low and slow approach
Excited to announce the launch of our Fab For Life Naturals Fertility Collection!
Get professional-grade supplements designed to support reproductive health for men and women. Prepare your body for a successful pregnancy with Fab For Life Naturals Fertility Collection.
Visit FFLNaturals.com and use code LAUNCH15 to save 15%.
Legacy, the digital fertility clinic for men, allows you to test your sperm from home.
Our favourite is the Test For Today - Semen Analysis
Get 15% off your fertility analysis using my code, FabFertile15 at checkout.
*You may be able to your Health Spending Account or insurance.*
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 364: Why This Is My Top Suggestion For Anyone On The Fertility Journey
- Episode 389: Want to get pregnant this year?
Join my FREE Facebook group and get my training on How To Improve Pregnancy Success With Your Own Eggs.
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fabfertile.com/pages/resources
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!
Apple Podcasts: http://apple.co/2CfHEX9