The Problem With Most Fertility Smoothies & How To Know Which Ingredients Matter with Anna Rapp
Oct 09, 2023
We’re digging into what everyone gets wrong about fertility smoothies.
Eating the right foods when you are trying to conceive can be confusing. There is so much contradictory advice.
At Fab Fertile, we believe in a personalized approach to nutrition. We have our clients start the elimination diet (it’s the gold standard to figure out if you have a food sensitivity), and then we tweak the diet further with comprehensive food sensitivity testing.
We’ve had people intolerant to fertility super foods like avocado, eggs, almonds and yes, even leafy greens.
So, while we’re figuring out our personalized diet choices, I wanted to give some inspiration for your breakfast.
It’s one of the biggest questions we get from people. But what will I eat for breakfast when I change my diet?
Enter the morning smoothie. But the problem with many smoothies is they are doing more harm than good (with blood sugar-spiking ingredients that only impair your fertility).
So what ingredients should your fertility smoothie contain, and how can you maximize your nutrition in each glass?
I’m excited to welcome Anna Rapp to the podcast. Anna is the chief blogger at the popular fertility site To Make A Mommy.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- The problems with most fertility smoothies
- The right way to include greens in smoothies (this tip is crucial for your fertility, especially if you have thyroid dysfunction – which we see regularly with low AMH/high FSH)
- How much protein to add, which protein powders to avoid, and which ones are our favourite
- The importance of healthy fats and how to add them to your smoothie (hint: we need healthy fats for hormone production).
- How to include seed cycling into your smoothie
3:01 WELCOME ANNA RAPP
- Anna’s fertility journey and how she developed a passion for helping other women
- I’m so passionate about spreading the good news to other women that there are ways to improve your fertility naturally.
- Why Anna starting her blog, To Make A Mommy
6:57 CONVENTIONAL MEDICINE’S MYOPIC FOCUS
- The problem with looking at the numbers only
- It’s essential to explore how diet and lifestyle are impacting your fertility
9:00 FERTILITY SMOOTHIES
- Anna’s Fertility Smoothie Recipe - https://www.tomakeamommy.com/how-to-make-the-best-fertility-smoothie-ever/
- The need for a nutrient-dense, egg health-friendly recipe
- Problems with a lot of the fertility smoothie recipes out there
- For me, a lot of my fertility diet was a love affair with leafy greens.
- You need a pretty high protein count to maximize your egg health.
12:31 START WITH THE BEST INGREDIENTS - GREENS
- Different types of greens that are beneficial for fertility
- The right greens help you to have a sperm-friendly, alkaline environment.
- Smoothies have a lot of benefits over traditional green juices
- Make sure to rotate the ingredients in your smoothie.
- Steaming your greens to reduce the potentially harmful effects on your thyroid
- Anna Rapp’s Blog Post | How To Find The Best Acupuncturist For Fertility!
18:48 NUTRIENT-DENSE MAGIC
- It feels like this nutrient-dense magic for your body.
- A fertility diet should be about getting all the nutrients your body needs
- The more vegetables you have, the more you'll want them.
- Eating a diverse range of plant-based foods is critical for a healthy gut microbiome
20:17 LIMIT YOUR SUGARS
- You don't want to be sugar crashing from your smoothie.
- Play with the amount of fruit you add to have a bit of sweetness without a lot of sugar
- Don’t add sweeteners to your fertility smoothie.
- We don't know how poorly we feel until we feel awesome.
24:08 FROZEN INGREDIENTS
- Smoothies taste better when they're cold.
- In traditional Chinese medicine, there’s a recommendation to avoid cold foods when trying to conceive
29:59 GETTING ENOUGH PROTEIN
- So many people need to eat more protein
- It's hard to get the protein you need on a plant-based diet.
- Anna Rapp’s Blog Post | Tracking Macros for Fertility: More Fat and Protein, Less Carbs for TTC!
- Research shows the positive effects that getting adequate protein has on egg health
- It’s important to add whole-food protein to your smoothie
- Why we don’t generally recommend soy or pea milks
- Contamination issues with protein powders
35:33 FATS FOR FERTILITY
- Fats are essential for fertility.
- A smoothie is an excellent opportunity to get a lot of healthy fats in.
- Sources of fats to consider for your fertility smoothies
- Seed cycling in relation to your menstrual cycle
- Anna Rapp’s Blog Post | Seed Cycling
- Using herbal infusions as a smoothie base
- How to make an herbal infusion
- Anna Rapp’s Blog Post | Herbal Infusion
41:51 FERTILITY SUPERFOODS
- You need to customize your fertility smoothie to your individual needs and diagnoses
- Be cautious about fertility superfoods, especially things like royal jelly and bee pollen
44:00 ANNA’S RECIPES
- Anna Rapp’s Blog Posts
46:09 BLENDER RECOMMENDATIONS
47:48 FINAL THOUGHTS
- Visualizations for your fertility
Fab Fertile Method - https://fabfertile.com/pages/what-we-do
Connect with Anna Rapp
- Blog: ToMakeAMommy.com
- Instagram: @ToMakeAMommy
- Blog Posts:
- Fertility Smoothie - https://www.tomakeamommy.com/how-to-make-the-best-fertility-smoothie-ever/
- Seed Cycling - https://www.tomakeamommy.com/seed-cycling-for-fertility-how-i-used-seeds-to-get-pregnant-after-infertility/
- Herbal Infusion - https://www.tomakeamommy.com/diy-daily-herbal-fertility-infusion-boost-chances-getting-pregnant/
Eating for your fertility does not have to suck and it is not about deprivation. It’s about eating food that tastes amazing and nourishes your body as you prepare for pregnancy success.
I’m excited to announce that our Autumn Fertility Recipe Guide is ready! I worked with a chef/nutrition background to prepare these summer recipes. In this 5-day challenge you’ll learn how food impacts your body while enjoying delicious meals - no you will not be drinking green juice and starving! Start this challenge today with your partner.
Your free guide includes a meal plan, grocery shopping list and everything you need to get started with nourishing foods that improve your chances of pregnancy success.
I get this question all the time: Where should I start to optimize pregnancy success?
I developed the Fertility Preparation Bundle https://fabfertile.com/products/fertility-preparation-bundle so that you can quickly figure out how food impacts your health AND fertility (plus you'll also get three (3) of our most popular fertility supplements that will optimize egg health).
This 10-day plan is to figure out exactly how food is impacting your fertility. And no, you will not be drinking green juice and starving.
It’s GENUINELY what we recommend to our clients to help improve pregnancy success (especially if you have low AMH/high FSH).
Get started here https://fabfertile.com/products/fertility-preparation-bundle and use code LAUNCH15 to save 15%.
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 407: The Ultimate Diet For Egg And Sperm Health
- Episode 389: Want to get pregnant this year?
Join my FREE Facebook group and get my training on How To Improve Pregnancy Success With Your Own Eggs.
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fabfertile.com/pages/resources
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!
Apple Podcasts: http://apple.co/2CfHEX9