How To Release Generational Trauma As We Prepare For Parenthood Our Way
Aug 21, 2023
We’re digging into how to release generational trauma and prepare for parenting.
Let’s face it: no one has experienced a perfect childhood.
Whether you vow never to repeat how you were parented or you want to model how you were raised to your children.
Getting clear about your intentions as you plan for your family is essential to start immediately.
After all, prepping for a baby isn't just about parental leave, nurseries, and registries.
These deep conversations often unlock hidden fears and blocks you may not have even noticed your subconscious was holding on to.
So, how do we have an honest conversation with our partner about how we want to parent?
In this episode, you'll learn:
- How to start a conversation about how you want to parent.
- Questions to consider include: How will you handle discipline? How do you want to raise this child? Do you have any triggers from your one childhood you DON'T want to bring forward?
- Tools to help with the hard conversations and strategies to assist (i.e. journaling, therapy, EMDR, etc.).
4:03 WELCOME SAMM COFFIN
5:00 WHY WE’RE TALKING ABOUT GENERATIONAL TRAUMA
6:42 TRAUMA & YOUR FERTILITY
- How trauma around parenting may be blocking you from getting pregnant
8:16 CONVERSATIONS WITH YOUR PARTNER
- How to create space for these vulnerable and sometimes difficult conversations
- Questions to discuss with your partner about parenting
- Different parenting styles and how they can impact children
- You want to be on the same page as your partner regarding parenting. That matters more than what’s on your registry.
12:19 RECOGNIZING PATTERNS
- What do you want to do with the tools that you have?
- Gabor Maté’s Books
- A new environment can help you recognize the impact of trauma on your nervous system
- My experience growing up in a yelling household
- If you haven’t dealt with it, you might repeat it.
16:12 ALL TRAUMA IS TRAUMA
- Start to process your trauma now so your child can have a more calm, peaceful environment.
- It’s about awareness.
- Having conversations is a significant first step
- Common triggers we see with our clients
- Some of Samm’s favourite activities to do with couples
- Figuring out the roots of the choices we make as parents
- How you can strengthen your relationship while on the fertility journey
- When couples have these conversations, it unlocks something that brings them closer.
27:38 RECOGNIZING CHARACTER STRENGTHS
- Recognizing and appreciating how each partner’s strengths can contribute to being stronger co-parents for each other
- It feels incredible for somebody to recognize why your strengths make their lives better.
30:25 PROCESSING THOUGHTS & EMOTIONS
- The recognition that there are many different ways that people process their thoughts and emotions
- Make it a natural part of the relationship to be able to talk things out so they don’t get stuck.
33:23 TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF
- Parent yourself now while you’re on the fertility journey.
- The connection between mental and emotional well-being and physical health
- Addressing generational trauma often alleviates physical symptoms.
- Why we believe in a mind-body-spirit approach
- Often your partner can help you make the connections and get to the root of things.
41:48 FINAL THOUGHTS
- The most common theme we see is couples navigating having emotionally immature parents themselves.
- Lindsay C. Gibson’s Book | Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents: How to Heal from Distant, Rejecting, or Self-Involved Parents
- Take the time in this moment to parent yourself.
Fab Fertile Method - https://fabfertile.com/pages/what-we-do
Top Fertility Supplements You Need To Get Pregnant This Year - send an email to email@example.com to get your free guide
Eating for your fertility does not have to suck and it is not about deprivation. It’s about eating food that tastes amazing and nourishes your body as you prepare for pregnancy success.
I’m excited to announce that our Summer Fertility Recipe Guide is ready! I worked with a chef/nutrition background to prepare these summer recipes. In this 5-day challenge you’ll learn how food impacts your body while enjoying delicious meals - no you will not be drinking green juice and starving! Start this challenge today with your partner.
Your free guide includes a meal plan, grocery shopping list and everything you need to get started with nourishing foods that improve your chances of pregnancy success.
I'm excited to announce the launch of our Fab For Life Naturals Fertility Collection! Fab For Life Naturals Fertility Collection. FFLNaturals.com
Get professional-grade supplements designed to support reproductive health for men and women. Prepare your body for a successful pregnancy with Fab For Life Naturals Fertility Collection.
Visit FFLNaturals.com and use code LAUNCH15 to save 15%.
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 407: The Ultimate Diet For Egg And Sperm Health
- Episode 389: Want to get pregnant this year?
Join my FREE Facebook group and get my training on How To Improve Pregnancy Success With Your Own Eggs.
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fabfertile.com/pages/resources
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!
Apple Podcasts: http://apple.co/2CfHEX9