Why This One Change Matters For Low AMH/High FSH
Jul 17, 2023
We're digging into why gluten matters if you have low AMH/high FSH.
Most people with low AMH/high FSH have made some dietary changes.
You’ve probably changed your diet. You may even have reduced gluten, and maybe you didn’t notice any difference in your health.
If you have digestive symptoms after consuming gluten, consider yourself fortunate because you know for sure there is a correlation.
But most of us don’t have digestive problems. Not everyone experiences bloating, burping, gas, constipation and/or diarrhea with gluten.
There are other health complaints that we may experience that are common but definitely not normal.
As you may know, I was diagnosed with primary ovarian insufficiency at 28 and had both my kids with donors' eggs. Much later, I discovered food sensitivities, gut infections, and chronic stress were the cause of my infertility.
I had no idea that gluten was a problem for my health until years later. Looking back, the symptoms were there – bloating, dark circles under my eyes (an indicator of food sensitivity), acne, dizziness, mood swings, keratosis pilaris (also known as chicken skin on the back of my arms – exfoliation didn’t help), and of course infertility.
We specialize in low AMH, high FSH, diminished ovarian reserve, and primary ovarian insufficiency.
A customized diet is essential, and determining if gluten needs to go is one of the first places we start.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- Why it is important to go gluten-free when we are TTC
- The problem with consuming gluten during pregnancy and the potential risks for the child
- The difference between celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity
- The connection between autoimmune diseases and gluten i.e. Hashimoto’s and irritable bowel disease
- Best test for gluten sensitivity
- Supplements to help with gluten exposure
3:37 WELCOME BRANDY BUSKOW
4:38 WHY WE’RE TALKING ABOUT GLUTEN
- My history with non-celiac gluten sensitivity
5:48 WHY BOTH PARTNERS SHOULD GO GLUTEN-FREE WHEN TTC
- Every human that consumes gluten or wheat will experience some degree of intestinal permeability.
- Why we should carefully consider whether it’s worth including gluten in your diet
- Understanding gluten’s role in developing leaky gut
- What happens in your body when you have leaky gut
- Research on the effects of gluten on the body
- Gluten and Intestinal Permeability Study: Hollon, J., Puppa, E. L., Greenwald, B., Goldberg, E., Guerrerio, A., & Fasano, A. (2015). Effect of gliadin on permeability of intestinal biopsy explants from celiac disease patients and patients with non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Nutrients, 7(3), 1565–1576.
10:11 CELIAC DISEASE & NON-CELIAC GLUTEN SENSITIVITY
- Differentiating between celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity
- A negative celiac test doesn’t mean an automatic green light.
- The gold standard for testing your gluten sensitivity
- The impact of consuming gluten while pregnant
- You want to treat your body the best way you can while you’re pregnant.
13:43 TESTING OPTIONS FOR CELIAC DISEASE AND GLUTEN SENSITIVITY
- Commonly used tests for celiac disease
- Why it’s important to work with a practitioner to assess your sensitivity
- How our elimination diet works
- The key markers and symptoms we track for with our clients
- Get Pregnant Naturally | Episode 407: The Ultimate Diet For Egg And Sperm Health
- How stool testing can be used to determine whether you’re experiencing gluten sensitivity
17:38 AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE AND GLUTEN
- How the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) diet works
- Success stories of the AIP diet
- The connection between gluten and autoimmune disease
- The top cross-reactors of gluten
- Why it might be a good idea to do testing for gluten cross-reactors
- Get Pregnant Naturally | Episode 206: Can The AIP Diet Help With Low AMH/High FSH?
- Get Pregnant Naturally | Episode 111: AIP Diet For Hashimoto’s And Why This Matters If You Are TTC
24:07 STRATEGIES FOR HEALING
- Factors that influence how long it takes for the gut to heal
- My gut healing journey
- High levels of stress can cause a leaky gut.
27:40 GLUTEN HIDING SPOTS
- Gluten-free versus gluten-light
- Sauces, vitamins and other surprising gluten hiding spots you might not recognize at first
- How you can check your medications for gluten
- Alternatives to try for common gluten-containing foods
- Even if there’s a small amount of wheatgrass, if you’re very sensitive to gluten, you are going to react to that.
- Tips for identifying gluten under other names on labels
- Wheat is like a glue.
32:42 YOUR THYROID & GLUTEN
- It’s very common for people with thyroid issues to also be extremely sensitive to gluten.
- Why we don’t recommend gluten or dairy for women having thyroid issues
- Because gluten impacts the gut, it can make it harder for your body to convert thyroid hormone
34:57 MINIMIZING YOUR EXPOSURE TO GLUTEN WHEN EATING OUT
- What to do before going out to eat
- How to talk to restaurant staff about your gluten sensitivity
- It’s worth it to push past the discomfort and ensure your meal is gluten-free.
- How to stay gluten free while travelling
- It can be fun, it’s not about deprivation
- As you start to see how food impacts your body, it’s like wow!
39:03 THEMES THAT WE SEE WITH OUR FERTILITY CLIENTS
- Non-celiac gluten sensitivity in both women and men
- Why couples should go on the gluten-free journey together
- This is one step that can have a big impact and make a big difference.
40:26 DIGESTIVE ISSUES AND BEYOND
- Gluten can have a big impact on your mental health
- The wide-ranging issues that gluten can cause in your body
- Not having gas and bloating doesn’t mean you don’t have an issue with gluten.
- The types of issues that can be improved by changing your diet
- If you have an autoimmune disease, looking at your diet is key
42:34 FINAL THOUGHTS
- Encouragement for those who feel overwhelmed about going gluten free
Fab Fertile Method - https://fabfertile.com/pages/what-we-do
Eating for your fertility does not have to suck and it is not about deprivation. It’s about eating food that tastes amazing and nourishes your body as you prepare for pregnancy success.
I’m excited to announce that our Summer Fertility Recipe Guide is ready! I worked with a chef/nutrition background to prepare these summer recipes. In this 5-day challenge you’ll learn how food impacts your body while enjoying delicious meals - no you will not be drinking green juice and starving! Start this challenge today with your partner.
Your free guide includes a meal plan, grocery shopping list and everything you need to get started with nourishing foods that improve your chances of pregnancy success.
I'm excited to announce the launch of our Fab For Life Naturals Fertility Collection! Fab For Life Naturals Fertility Collection. FFLNaturals.com
Get professional-grade supplements designed to support reproductive health for men and women. Prepare your body for a successful pregnancy with Fab For Life Naturals Fertility Collection.
Visit FFLNaturals.com and use code LAUNCH15 to save 15%.
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 407: The Ultimate Diet For Egg And Sperm Health
- Episode 389: Want to get pregnant this year?
Join my FREE Facebook group and get my training on How To Improve Pregnancy Success With Your Own Eggs.
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fabfertile.com/pages/resources
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!
Apple Podcasts: http://apple.co/2CfHEX9