Why Your Oral Microbiome Matters When You Are TTC with Dr Katie Lee
Jan 22, 2024
We're digging into why your dental health matters when you are TTC.
The American Dental Association recommends seeing the dentist every six months or an average of twice annually. But it turns out about 25% of the population goes more than five years without visiting a dentist.
A healthy oral microbiome is essential when you are trying to conceive.
Periodontal disease can be linked to egg and sperm health and complications during pregnancy.
Let’s discover how oral health may be linked to fertility and what you can do to improve pregnancy success.
I’m excited to welcome Dr. Katie Lee to the podcast. Dr. Katie is a dentist, speaker, author and coach. Dr. Lee authored a book entitled Saved By the Mouth to educate patients and clinicians on the importance of oral health.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- What the studies tell us about oral health and pregnancy success outcomes
- How periodontal disease may be linked to ovulation and lengthen the time for conception
- The link between pregnancy complications such as miscarriage, preeclampsia, preterm labour and more
- When to use mouth taping, favourite toothbrush and why, the final word on mouthwash, plus the right diet for optimal oral health
3:02 WELCOME DR. KATIE LEE
- Katie Lee’s Book | Saved by the Mouth: Be Healthier, Save Money, and Live Longer by Improving Your Oral Health
3:56 DR. KATIE’S JOURNEY INTO DENTISTRY
- How Katie recognized firsthand how oral health impacts overall health
- Katie’s fertility journey and her surprise discovery that the best fertility doctors weren’t paying attention to patient’s oral health
7:40 ORAL MICROBIOME & FERTILITY
- All along the journey of having a baby, oral health is critical.
- Poor oral health can prevent us from getting pregnant, keeping the pregnancy, and it also leads to adverse pregnancy outcomes
10:07 GUM HEALTH
- The main thing when we're talking about fertility is our gum health.
- The relationship between oral health, gut health, and fertility
12:02 ORAL HEALTH & ADVERSE PREGNANCY OUTCOMES
- The two main types of oral bacteria that impact fertility
- These bacteria easily go from our gum tissue into the bloodstream, and they love to colonize the female reproductive system
- It's vital to work on the health of the male partner.
16:18 SIGNS OF GUM DISEASE
- If your gums are bleeding, that means that there's an infection.
- Most people don't even realize that they have bleeding gums because they're not cleaning them properly
- Only about 5% of the population flosses, and only half do it correctly.
- The connection between food intolerances and oral health
18:29 HOLISTIC DENTAL CARE
- You need to see a dentist educated in oral-systemic health.
- The aim should be to support the good bacteria and diversity of the oral microbiome
- If you're using oral care products that kill 99% of all bacteria, you're getting rid of the good bacteria.
- MMP-8 is a crucial biomarker responsible for facilitating the spread of oral bacteria to the rest of the body
- Red flags when it comes to tongue health
- Acid reflux is a sign of systemic inflammation.
24:55 AIRWAY HEALTH
- 85% of all people who have airway health issues are undiagnosed.
- A dentist has perfect access to screen for airway health
- Common signs of airway health issues
- Any inflammation in the body is not going to be good for fertility.
- One way to ensure you're breathing through your nose is to tape your mouth shut
27:47 BRUSHING & FLOSSING
- When brushing, focus the bristles between the junction of the gum tissue and the teeth
- Make sure you're using an electric toothbrush; it’s much more efficient.
- If you’re trying to conceive or are pregnant, you should be brushing and flossing twice a day
30:17 DIET & ORAL HEALTH
- The role of diet in reducing inflammation
- Tooth sensitivity is a warning sign that your body is on fire or inflamed.
- Many sources can be behind sensitive teeth
- Dr. Katie’s top tips for making sure you brush and floss as long and as frequently as you should
- Alcohol-based mouthwash is not good for you.
34:34 SUPPLEMENTS FOR ORAL HEALTH
- Dr. Katie’s top supplement recommendations
36:52 SPECIAL OFFER
- Anyone thinking about getting pregnant needs to get a saliva test.
- Follow Dr. Katie on Instagram @KatieLeeDDS and send her a message with code “saliva23” to get a salivary test at cost, a free teledentistry consultation with Dr. Katie to go over your results, and a personalized care plan to improve your oral health https://www.instagram.com/katieleedds/
37:44 FINAL THOUGHTS
Fab Fertile Method - https://fabfertile.com/pages/what-we-do
Connect with Dr. Katie Lee
- Dr. Katie Lee’s Book | Saved by the Mouth: Be Healthier, Save Money, and Live Longer by Improving Your Oral Health
- Dr. Katie Lee on Instagram @KatieLeeDDS
- Dr. Katie Lee’s Website | KatieLeeDDS.com
Top Fertility Supplements You Need To Get Pregnant This Year - Access your free guide at www.suppguideffl.com
I get this question all the time: Where should I start to optimize pregnancy success?
I developed the Fertility Preparation Bundle https://fabfertile.com/products/fertility-preparation-bundle so that you can quickly figure out how food impacts your health AND fertility (plus you'll also get three (3) of our most popular fertility supplements that will optimize egg health).
This 10-day plan is to figure out exactly how food is impacting your fertility. And no, you will not be drinking green juice and starving.
It’s GENUINELY what we recommend to our clients to help improve pregnancy success (especially if you have low AMH/high FSH).
Get started here https://fabfertile.com/products/fertility-preparation-bundle and use code LAUNCH15 to save 15% (US residents only).
Eating for your fertility does not have to suck and it is not about deprivation. It’s about eating food that tastes amazing and nourishes your body as you prepare for pregnancy success.
I’m excited to announce that our Winter Fertility Recipe Guide is ready! I worked with a chef/nutrition background to prepare these summer recipes. In this 5-day challenge you’ll learn how food impacts your body while enjoying delicious meals - no you will not be drinking green juice and starving! Start this challenge today with your partner.
Your free guide includes a meal plan, grocery shopping list and everything you need to get started with nourishing foods that improve your chances of pregnancy success.
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 407: The Ultimate Diet For Egg And Sperm Health
- Episode 389: Want to get pregnant this year?
Join my FREE Facebook group and get my training on How To Improve Pregnancy Success With Your Own Eggs.
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fabfertile.com/pages/resources
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!
Apple Podcasts: http://apple.co/2CfHEX9