Beginner’s Guide to Going Toxin-Free When TTC with Anna Rapp
Nov 20, 2023
We are living in a toxic soup filled with chemicals.
When we’re TTC, switching to non-toxic products is essential.
We don’t recommend throwing everything out because that can cause more stress.
As each product expires, you can replace it with a non-toxic option.
Except for your feminine hygiene and fragrances - swap those out immediately - hint: those pumpkin spice candles release harmful PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) associated with reproductive issues.
Studies have linked PAH exposure to reduced sperm count, lower concentration, abnormal shape, and decreased mobility.
Additionally, various chemicals such as phthalates, SVOCs, BHT, and parabens have the potential to disrupt hormones, which is particularly concerning for individuals trying to conceive or those who are pregnant.
So, where do we start?
We’re excited to share a beginner’s guide to going toxin-free as you prepare for pregnancy success.
I’m excited to welcome Anna Rapp to the podcast. Anna is the chief blogger at the popular fertility site To Make A Mommy.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- The difference between non-toxic, low-tox, green living, clean living
- Advise on how to swap out your personal care products
- How to know which cookware is best
- Our favourite air purifier, water filter, mattress and cleaning products
3:19 WELCOME ANNA RAPP
- Get Pregnant Naturally
4:03 WHY GOING TOXIN-FREE MATTERS WHEN TTC
- It’s not about throwing everything in the garbage.
5:07 HOW ANNA WENT NON-TOXIC
- Rebecca Fett’s Book | It Starts with the Egg: How the Science of Egg Quality Can Help You Get Pregnant Naturally, Prevent Miscarriage, and Improve Your Odds in IVF
- Going non-toxic completely changes your life.
- The recognition that toxin-free living was for overall health, not just egg health
- You have to set an intention and make the changes.
8:05 GETTING STARTED
- Research shows that if all you do is replace all your personal care items, within two weeks, your blood toxin levels will have dropped into healthy ranges
- In addition to negative health outcomes, there are a lot of people who are sensitive to synthetic fragrances
10:58 ELIMINATE SYNTHETIC FRAGRANCES & BPA
- Phthalates are some of the worst endocrine disruptors
- Common household items and personal care products to avoid
- Stop eating and drinking out of plastic.
15:02 OTHER FACTORS AFFECTING FERTILITY
- Endocrine disruptors such as parabens and triclosan are in a lot of everyday items
- The two main ways to avoid pesticides are to eat organic and take your shoes off at the door
- The shockingly toxic chemicals in conventional nail polish and nail polish removers
19:57 VOCs & FLAME RETARDANTS
- The dangers of flame retardants in furniture and mattresses
- How you can improve air quality in your home
- Anna’s Recommendations: Best Air Purifiers For Home 2023
23:08 WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT PFAS
- The numerous negative health outcomes from PFAS and the battle to get these chemicals outlawed
- Ditch your nonstick cookware.
- Common products which contain PFAS
- Mamavation Product Investigations
27:44 SWITCHING AWAY FROM PLASTICS
- The environmental impact of plastics
- High-fat foods absorb the most toxins from plastics
- What to prioritize when moving away from plastics
- How to figure out which cookware to invest in
- We can never eliminate all the toxins from our bodies.
- Focus on doing the best you can.
36:30 MATTRESSES & PILLOWS
- Memory foam mattresses are some of the worst offenders
- Top tips for mattress and pillow care
- Low-tox mattress and pillow options
- Anna’s Recommendations: Toxins In Mattresses Linked To Infertility and Miscarriage
42:20 WATER FILTERS
- Anna’s Recommendations: The Best Water Filter For Fertility
- EWG's Tap Water Database
- The presence of antibiotics, hormones, and pesticides in public water
47:39 PERFUMES & COLOGNES
- The lack of ingredient disclosure in traditional cologne and perfume
- Better options for those of us who like to wear a fragrance
- Anna’s Recommendations: Non-Toxic and Pregnancy-Safe Perfumes
53:27 TAKING SMALL STEPS
- Be realistic and avoid going too intense
- Recognizing that natural products may not perform as well as synthetic ingredients
55:35 FINAL THOUGHTS
- Reclaim your health one step at a time.
Fab Fertile Method - https://fabfertile.com/pages/what-we-do
Connect with Anna Rapp
- Blog: ToMakeAMommy.com
- Instagram: @ToMakeAMommy
- Blog Posts:
Eating for your fertility does not have to suck and it is not about deprivation. It’s about eating food that tastes amazing and nourishes your body as you prepare for pregnancy success.
I’m excited to announce that our Autumn Fertility Recipe Guide is ready! I worked with a chef/nutrition background to prepare these summer recipes. In this 5-day challenge you’ll learn how food impacts your body while enjoying delicious meals - no you will not be drinking green juice and starving! Start this challenge today with your partner.
Your free guide includes a meal plan, grocery shopping list and everything you need to get started with nourishing foods that improve your chances of pregnancy success.
I get this question all the time: Where should I start to optimize pregnancy success?
I developed the Fertility Preparation Bundle https://fabfertile.com/products/fertility-preparation-bundle so that you can quickly figure out how food impacts your health AND fertility (plus you'll also get three (3) of our most popular fertility supplements that will optimize egg health).
This 10-day plan is to figure out exactly how food is impacting your fertility. And no, you will not be drinking green juice and starving.
It’s GENUINELY what we recommend to our clients to help improve pregnancy success (especially if you have low AMH/high FSH).
Get started here https://fabfertile.com/products/fertility-preparation-bundle and use code LAUNCH15 to save 15%.
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 407: The Ultimate Diet For Egg And Sperm Health
- Episode 389: Want to get pregnant this year?
Join my FREE Facebook group and get my training on How To Improve Pregnancy Success With Your Own Eggs.
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fabfertile.com/pages/resources
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!
Apple Podcasts: http://apple.co/2CfHEX9