What Anemia Really Means For Low AMH/High FSH
Nov 27, 2023
We’re digging into iron panels and what you need to know when you are TTC.
What we commonly see with low AMH/high FSH is iron deficiency.
And it’s more than just taking an iron supplement.
Because many people don’t absorb iron properly or have heavy periods and gut issues that negatively impact iron levels.
Bottom line if you have amenorrhea, anovulation (the lack of ovulation), poor egg health, ovulatory disorder, and have experienced miscarriage its time to dig deeper into the full iron panel.
So how do we address iron deficiency to improve our chances of pregnancy success?
In this episode, you'll learn:
- Symptoms of low iron and why this matters for fertility
- Functional reference ranges for the iron panel (hint: a conventional physician may have told you that your iron ranges are “normal” – but has a healing opportunity been missed?)
- Reasons WHY your iron markers are out of balance (i.e. gut infections, autoimmunity, low stomach acid and more)
- Medications and foods that interfere with iron absorption
- Diet, lifestyle and supplement recommendations to improve iron markers
03:24 WELCOME KATY BRADBURY
04:34 INTRODUCING TODAY’S TOPIC
05:01 IRON & PREGNANCY SUCCESS
- Red blood cells need iron to carry oxygen around the body.
- Consequences of low iron/anemia for your fertility
06:17 CONVENTIONAL VS. FUNCTIONAL APPROACH TO ADDRESSING LOW IRON
- Why a blood count alone is not enough to diagnose anemia
- We recommend a full iron panel to get a full picture of what’s going on with your iron
- What is thalassemia and why it’s important to identify it
10:57 SYMPTOMS OF LOW IRON
- Fatigue that doesn’t seem to ever go away is a common symptom.
- Symptoms often include dizziness, palpitations, and skin and nail issues
- Unusual cravings that are often signs of severe anemia
- Significant health events and emotional trauma often show up in our nails.
15:11 FUNCTIONAL REFERENCE RANGES FOR IRON MARKERS
|Total iron binding capacity
- Iron as a marker on its own can fluctuate quite a bit, making it an unreliable marker on its own.
- What each marker represents and what they mean in relation to each other
22:31 THYROID MARKERS
- Inflammation disrupts the iron stores and iron levels in the body
- We need to have enough iron to produce our thyroid hormones.
- You always need to dig deeper to determine why iron levels are low.
24:16 BLOOD LOSS
- Blood loss is one of the key reasons why your iron could be low.
- Why stool testing is essential
25:39 DIET & IRON ABSORPTION
- If you’re not having animal sources of iron you may be at higher risk of deficiency.
- It’s not you are what you eat, it’s you are what you absorb.
- Iron is a complicate mineral for your body to absorb
- H. pylori is a huge driver for a number of nutrition and digestive issues
- Common factors impairing people’s ability to absorb iron
- Gut health and addressing chronic infections are key for your fertility.
- Iron connects with so many functions in the body
29:44 PREGNANCY & LACTATION WITH LOW IRON
- Excessive turmeric supplementation can deplete iron stores.
- Supplementation should always be done under the guidance of an experienced practitioner
- Too much of a good thing isn’t always a good thing.
32:18 CANCER & LOW IRON
33:05 MEDICATIONS, FOODS & DRINKS THAT CAN IMPACT IRON ABSORPTION
- You can usually still take these things, but you may not want to take them at the same time as iron supplements
34:57 HIGH-QUALITY SOURCES OF DIETARY IRON
- The difference between animal and plant sources of iron
- Organ meats are very nutrient dense.
40:07 IRON SUPPLEMENT RECOMMENDATIONS
- The iron patch can be a great option for people working on their gut health.
43:37 FINAL THOUGHTS
Fab Fertile Method - https://fabfertile.com/pages/what-we-do
Eating for your fertility does not have to suck and it is not about deprivation. It’s about eating food that tastes amazing and nourishes your body as you prepare for pregnancy success.
I’m excited to announce that our Autumn Fertility Recipe Guide is ready! I worked with a chef/nutrition background to prepare these summer recipes. In this 5-day challenge you’ll learn how food impacts your body while enjoying delicious meals - no you will not be drinking green juice and starving! Start this challenge today with your partner.
Your free guide includes a meal plan, grocery shopping list and everything you need to get started with nourishing foods that improve your chances of pregnancy success.
I get this question all the time: Where should I start to optimize pregnancy success?
I developed the Fertility Preparation Bundle https://fabfertile.com/products/fertility-preparation-bundle so that you can quickly figure out how food impacts your health AND fertility (plus you'll also get three (3) of our most popular fertility supplements that will optimize egg health).
This 10-day plan is to figure out exactly how food is impacting your fertility. And no, you will not be drinking green juice and starving.
It’s GENUINELY what we recommend to our clients to help improve pregnancy success (especially if you have low AMH/high FSH).
Get started here https://fabfertile.com/products/fertility-preparation-bundle and use code LAUNCH15 to save 15%.
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 407: The Ultimate Diet For Egg And Sperm Health
- Episode 389: Want to get pregnant this year?
Join my FREE Facebook group and get my training on How To Improve Pregnancy Success With Your Own Eggs.
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fabfertile.com/pages/resources
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!
Apple Podcasts: http://apple.co/2CfHEX9