Did your mom know best? Is liver really good for your health and fertility? with Nora DeBora
Dec 05, 2022
We’re digging into why liver can help when you are TTC.
I remember my mom frying up liver on the stove when I was a kid (she would now cringe at this because she’s been a vegan for 35 years!). The smell made me gag and I would run and hide in the other room so I didn’t have to eat it.
I recently tried it again, sautéed with onions and spices. I ate the liver by itself – nope still hate it! But then we made liver pate. Definitely tasted better, but still an acquired taste.
Organ meats and liver in particular are making a comeback. Liver is among the most nourishing foods on the planet, especially if it’s sourced from a grass-fed, well-treated animal.
How do we know if consuming liver is right for us as we prepare for pregnancy?And what can we do if we hate the taste?
Today I’m excited to welcome Nora DeBora to the podcast. Nora is a Preconception Health Coach, Holistic Nutritionist and Fertility Awareness Practitioner.
In this episode you'll learn:
- What we need to know about liver when we are TTC
- But isn’t the liver toxic? That’s where all the toxins go. How do we know if organ meat is right for us?
- What type of liver to consume
- If you hate the taste of liver, check out our go-to supplement, Perfect Desiccated Liver capsules
03:56 WELCOME NORA DeBORA
- Nora’s journey to becoming a Preconception Health Coach
06:24 INTRODUCING TODAY’S TOPIC
08:17 LIVER IS A FERTILITY SUPERFOOD
- Liver’s vitamin and mineral content blows fruits and vegetables out of the water.
09:18 NUTRIENTS IN LIVER: VITAMIN A
- The two main forms of Vitamin A: retinol and beta carotene
- Vitamin A is important for fertility and egg quality.
- Other good sources of vitamin A
- Animal protein is really good for your fertility.
11:44 NUTRIENTS IN LIVER: VITAMIN D
- Vitamin D is essential for ovarian function and follicular development
- Good food sources of vitamin D
- We see a lot of clients with low AMH/high FSH that have very low vitamin D
- We need vitamin K2 alongside vitamin D for proper absorption
- Liver already has vitamin K2 built-in with vitamin D.
- Get Pregnant Naturally | Episode 35: What Vitamin D Levels Mean For Fertility
13:27 NUTRIENTS IN LIVER: IRON
- Anemia in pregnancy has many negative effects on the fetus.
- About 20% of women don’t have sufficient reserves of iron.
14:14 NUTRIENTS IN LIVER: FOLATE & VITAMIN B12
- Liver is one of the richest sources of folate and vitamin B12
- Folate and vitamin B12 are vital in maintaining healthy red blood cells.
- The potential problem with folic acid supplementation
- Get Pregnant Naturally | Episode 57: What MTHFR Means for Fertility
16:00 NUTRIENTS IN LIVER: CHOLINE
- Choline helps increase ovarian function
- Why liver is a superior dietary source of choline
16:37 NUTRIENTS IN LIVER: CoQ10
- CoQ10 is an important antioxidant that protects our tissues from the natural aging process
17:39 LIVER MYTH: IT’S FULL OF TOXINS
- What to look for in a good source of liver
- Toxins are cleaned by the liver, not stored there.
21:31 VITAMIN A IN PREGNANCY
- Why high doses of vitamin A are not recommended during pregnancy
- Supplements are not a replacement for food.
24:29 HOW TO INCORPORATE LIVER INTO YOUR DIET
- Creative ways to add liver to other dishes if you don’t like the flavour alone
- The increasing popularity of organ meats and bone broth
- What you need to know about desiccated liver in capsule form - We love Perfect Desiccated Liver capsules
32:30 NORA’S CURRENT OBSESSIONS
33:30 FREE OFFERING FOR LISTENERS
34:45 FINAL THOUGHTS
Fab Fertile Method - https://fabfertile.com/pages/what-we-do
Connect with Nora DeBora
- Nora DeBora’s Website | NaturallyNora.ca
- Nora DeBora’s Free Guide | Eat For Your Cycle
- Nora DeBora’s Coaching Program | Master Your Cycle To Get Pregnant
- Nora DeBora’s Podcast | The Ultimate Pregnancy Prep Podcast
Tracking your hormones is essential but getting bloodwork each month can be time consuming and expensive.
I'm excited to introduce you to the Inito fertility monitor, an easy, at-home fertility tracker that gives accurate results, while cutting down on your time and expenses.
Inito not only tells you when you're the most fertile by measuring estrogen and LH but also confirms if you’ve actually ovulated by measuring progesterone.
If you’re ready to start tracking your fertility easily at home, go to Inito.com and use code FABFERTILE15 to save 15% on your fertility tracker.
Please note when promoting a product we only select products that either Sarah Clark or her team has tried and believe are beneficial for someone who is TTC. We may receive a small commission.
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 346: How To Know If IVF Is Your Next Best Step
- Episode 364: Why This is My TOP Suggestion fFor Anyone On The Fertility Journey
- Episode 207: Breast Implant Illness and Why This Matters if You are TTC
- Episode 333: Can The AIP Diet Help With Low AMH/High FSH?
Eating for your fertility does not have to suck. It's not about deprivation, it’s eating food that tastes amazing and nourishes your body as you prepare for pregnancy success.
Our Autumn Fertility Recipe Guide is ready for you! Grab your FREE copy at FertilityDietFreebie.com.
Your free guide includes a meal plan, grocery shopping list and everything you need to get started with nourishing foods that improve your chances of pregnancy success.
This is a 5-day challenge where you’ll learn how food impacts your body. You won't be drinking green juice and starving. Start this challenge today with your partner.
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fabfertile.com/pages/resources
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!
Apple Podcasts: http://apple.co/2CfHEX9