Proven Sleep Hacks That Optimize Reproductive Health and Banish Poor Sleep For Good
Jun 05, 2023
We’re digging into how to optimize sleep to improve fertility.
Good sleep is the cornerstone of optimal fertility. However, so many of us are struggling with sleep.
Whether it's falling asleep, waking up at night or feeling tired all day.
And sleep aids are a bandaid and do not provide the restorative sleep needed for reproductive health.
The good news is there are targeted strategies that help to improve your sleep.
Sleep hygiene is imperative, but it’s more than a consistent bedtime routine and sleeping in a clutter-free dark room.
When we address the biochemical reasons why sleep is disordered in the first place, our sleep comes back online.
In today’s episode, you’ll learn:
- Why sleep is essential for someone who is TTC
- The link between adrenal insufficiency and sleep (i.e. if your cortisol is high before bed, you’ll have trouble falling asleep)
- Blood sugar imbalance and why poor sleep impacts your blood sugar the entire next day (i.e. how to stop the vicious cycle)
- Hormone imbalance and the impact on sleep
- Supplement and diet/lifestyle strategies to optimize your sleep
3:41 WELCOME KATY BRADBURY
4:37 SLEEP STRUGGLES
- So many people struggle with sleep and spend years relying on sleep aids
5:55 THE IMPORTANCE OF SLEEP WHEN TTC
- Poor sleep leads to a poor lived experience.
- How a bad night’s sleep affects your hormone production
- So many adverse effects that stem from sleep deprivation
- A sleep issue is usually alongside other health issues
- If you haven’t optimized your sleep, you’re missing a huge healing opportunity to improve your fertility
- The problem with over-reliance on melatonin supplementation
10:46 WAKING UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT
- Your circadian rhythm and HPA Axis Dysfunction
- We evolved to wake up with the sun and go to bed at night.
- The importance of working with our body's natural rhythms
- Avoiding blue light exposure in the evening
- If there's mental and emotional stress, it's going to have a knock-on effect on sleep
- Get Pregnant Naturally | Episode 390: Why Addressing These Little Glands Matters for Egg Health and Even POI
- Blue and green light and melatonin production
16:00 SLEEP APNEA
- 25-35% of people with hypothyroidism also have sleep apnea.
- Many people have sleep apnea and never know it.
- Symptoms of sleep apnea
- Get Pregnant Naturally | Episode 103: Healthy Sleep, Sleep Apnea And Why It Matters For Fertility with Dr. Mark Burhenne
- Snore Lab App
- Methods to reduce the impact of sleep apnea and improve jaw and facial muscle tone
21:14 LEAKY GUT & SLEEP
- How gut dysbiosis can increase cortisol levels at night
26:19 ANXIETY & SLEEP
- The relationship between anxiety and neurotransmitter release
- How spending more time in the parasympathetic nervous system can activate calming neurotransmitters for better sleep
- The more time we spend in calming mode, the better our sleep.
- Othership App | Guided Breathwork
29:14 ENVIRONMENTAL TRIGGERS
- Tips for creating an environment that is conducive to sleep
21:12 ALCOHOL & SLEEP
- When you're on the fertility journey, minimizing alcohol is key.
- Take a deeper look at how you’re using alcohol and identify healthier substitutes.
- Alcohol-induced sleep is not restorative sleep.
34:21 CAFFEINE & SLEEP
- There’s a considerable amount of individual variability when it comes to tolerance to caffeine
- Prioritize making your afternoon caffeine-free
36:47 MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY
- 85% of us are deficient in magnesium.
- Symptoms of magnesium deficiency
37:48 BLOOD SUGAR IMBALANCE
- Blood sugar is one of the biggest and most overlooked reasons for sleep issues
- If you have a blood sugar imbalance, you need to start looking at breakfast
29:26 HORMONE IMBALANCES, VITAMINS D & B6
- It’s important to look at the broader picture and address the root causes
- Get Pregnant Naturally | Episode 394: Why This Deficiency Can Negatively Impact Egg Health and Sperm Health
- Vitamin D can noticeably help your sleep quality and increase your sleep duration.
- B vitamins and hormone production are closely linked within the body.
- The calming effects of vitamin B6 on insomnia and mood disorders
- Get Pregnant Naturally | Episode 397: What exactly makes a great fertility diet? Keto? Paleo? Carnivore? Vegan?
42:44 THE FINAL WORD ON MELATONIN
- Sleep is a critical piece of the puzzle.
Fab Fertile Method - https://fabfertile.com/pages/what-we-do
Eating for your fertility does not have to suck and it is not about deprivation. It’s about eating food that tastes amazing and nourishes your body as you prepare for pregnancy success.
I’m excited to announce that our Spring Fertility Recipe Guide is ready! I worked with a chef/nutrition background to prepare these summer recipes. In this 5-day challenge you’ll learn how food impacts your body while enjoying delicious meals - no you will not be drinking green juice and starving! Start this challenge today with your partner.
Your free guide includes a meal plan, grocery shopping list and everything you need to get started with nourishing foods that improve your chances of pregnancy success.
I'm excited to introduce you to the Inito fertility monitor, an easy, at-home fertility tracker that gives accurate results, while cutting down on your time and expenses.
Inito not only tells you when you're the most fertile by measuring estrogen and LH but also confirms if you’ve actually ovulated by measuring progesterone.
If you’re ready to start tracking your fertility easily at home, go to Inito.com and use code FABFERTILE15 to save 15% on your fertility tracker.
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 364: Why This Is My TOP Suggestion For Anyone On The Fertility Journey
- Episode 389: Want to get pregnant this year?
Join my FREE Facebook group and get my training on How To Improve Pregnancy Success With Your Own Eggs.
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fabfertile.com/pages/resources
When we link to products, those links may be affiliate links. If you click on any of those affiliate links, we’ll earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers at no cost to you.
We’re careful to link to the products and retailers we use and recommend. Money earned keeps Fab Fertile Inc. running and allows us to do what we love for a living. Thank you for your support.
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button, so you never miss an episode!
Apple Podcasts: http://apple.co/2CfHEX9